Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 17:02
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 138/123/117 Female 66
BF:
Progress:
Default Late night eating tips?! Please

hi everyone, i know people were talking about this earlier but i was really hoping someone could give me advice on night eating. tuesday i woke up with a finishied jar of peanut butter on my bed and last night it was whip cream, it makes me stomach hurt and throws off my eating for the rest of the day, for instance, i don t get hungry till around noon. i do not even really remember eating the food and i eat it until it is all gone, i would really like to stop because my boyfriend comes back from iraq in february and we are going to be living together. i would really appreciate anyones advice!?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 17:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/124/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Well here is what I do. When I have a craving for something no matter what time of day it is, I keep telling myself that I can have it in five minutes. When the five minutes are up I then tell myself that I can have it in another five minutes and I keep repeating it. Eventually the craving will pass or I get too sleepy to eat.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 17:13

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Hehe goLions, I think Jenn doesn't even realize she's eating. Like sleep walking.

Jenn, I heard someone locking their bedroom door. Do you think that would help you? Or maybe a more drastic change like not keep any quickie food like peanut butter or whipped cream around? Keep only meats, veggies, and other stuff that needs cooking? I don't have such a problem so I couldn't begin to imagine what it's like. I used to have a problem of being able to go to sleep on an empty stomach. That seems a pretty minor problem compared to this.

Hope you get this resolved.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 17:32

Plan: low-carb/low-cal
Stats: 145/140/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 25%

If in fact you are eating without even realizing it, you need to see a professional about it. That's not normal and you shouldn't have to live that way. There is medication you can try and other forms of treatment as well. If it is to the point that you are sleepwalking to get the food, then you are at risk of injury to yourself (and possible others), and should seriously consider looking into the problem.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 18:39

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn22uncw
hi everyone, i know people were talking about this earlier but i was really hoping someone could give me advice on night eating. tuesday i woke up with a finishied jar of peanut butter on my bed and last night it was whip cream, it makes me stomach hurt and throws off my eating for the rest of the day, for instance, i don t get hungry till around noon. i do not even really remember eating the food and i eat it until it is all gone, i would really like to stop because my boyfriend comes back from iraq in february and we are going to be living together. i would really appreciate anyones advice!?

I noticed in your stats that you are 5'5". It seems to me you shouldn't have any weight to lose. Do you think maby you are not eating enough during the day and your body is so hungry that it tries to take over when your defenses are down? You seem to be choosing foods that are nutritious so maby you actually need the nutrients. The body is amazingly adept at self-preservation.
Maby you could post a menu of what you would typically eat in a day so we can see what is going on in that department.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 18:58

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%

Are you hungry when you wake up? Do you remember this at all? Or is it that you cant go to sleep, so the food helps you go back to sleep? Ive had sleeping problems in the past, Id wake up and the ONLY way I thought I'd go back to sleep was raid the frig...it was a comfort food thing and I usually did go back to sleep...I dont know if this applies to you if your eating for no purpose and also not even realizing it?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 138/123/117 Female 66
BF:
Progress:

i am not sure it i am hungry or not when i wake up. i think i am a little bit but i definitely continue eating way past when i am full. thanks for the advice everyone
in a typical day i eat
1 low carb hot cereal,
2 laughing cow, veggies
3 chicken breast, pb on 1 slice wheat bread
4 tuna with mustard on lettuce
5 lo carb ice cream or hot tea

i also exercise for an hour daily, take a 2 mile walk every night and do an ab class 3x a week. i found that even if i eat more during the day, i still tend to eat a lot at night. also, i feel like i can't fall asleep unless i eat right before bed then i still wake uuup in the middle of the night, Does anyone else do this? maybe it is stress because every day i am worried my boyfriend is going to get killed in iraq
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 19:42

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn22uncw
i am not sure it i am hungry or not when i wake up. i think i am a little bit but i definitely continue eating way past when i am full. thanks for the advice everyone
in a typical day i eat
1 low carb hot cereal,
2 laughing cow, veggies
3 chicken breast, pb on 1 slice wheat bread
4 tuna with mustard on lettuce
5 lo carb ice cream or hot tea

i also exercise for an hour daily, take a 2 mile walk every night and do an ab class 3x a week. i found that even if i eat more during the day, i still tend to eat a lot at night. also, i feel like i can't fall asleep unless i eat right before bed then i still wake uuup in the middle of the night, Does anyone else do this? maybe it is stress because every day i am worried my boyfriend is going to get killed in iraq

I'm not that familiar with the South Beach diet but it seems to me your choices are rather carby and would probably contribute to a lot of the cravings you are experiencing. Would it be possible for you to exchange the breads, cereals and ice cream for some more protein sources (expecially if you are exercising) and perferably a little more fat (ie. mayo or olive/flax/coconut oil)? Are you eating enough?? In your case 10 to 12 times your body weight would be approx 1250-1500 cals/day. I think you might find some relief from the uncontrollable cravings you are having if your blood sugars were a little more under control.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 19:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 215/195/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
People with this disorder experience recurrent episodes of eating during sleep, without being aware of what they are doing. Sleep-related eating might occur often enough to result in significant weight gain. Although it can affect all ages and both sexes, it is more common in young women.

http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/Sleepeating.html

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleepeating.cfm

http://www.anred.com/nsred.html

I'd google "sleep-related eating" and see what you find. It sounds like this might be something you have.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 03:48
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo & IM Fasting
Stats: 263.6/150.0/148 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 98%

I use to have this problem as well and what finally broke it was for me:

1. going to bed at the same time every night
2. having almost a ritual before bed ( brush teeth, stretch and so forth)
3. not falling asleep to the sounds of the television
4. getting a doc to prescribe me a few sleep aids (not that I advise drugs to solve it but once I was able to break the cycle it helped)

Plus I keep a calendar with each day I made it a night with sleep binging. And after a while I was determined to go farther and farther.

I hope you find a solution that works for you!