Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 09:35
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 191/188/160
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question Please Give Me Some Advice!

Hi. I've been following CAD since Jan. 8th - almost 1 week now - and lost 2 lbs right away but now I've gained them back PLUS a pound. Can you see if I am doing this right?

Using FitDay - calories = 1400-1600
Daily exercise = 45 minute walk or if it is too cold, 12 minutes of rigorous biking indoors, plus abs every other day.

Meals:
ZERO SNACKS!
Breakfast: consists of leftovers...usually meat and veggies
i.e. hamburger patty and cauliflower
homemade sausage (no filler) and cabbage

Lunch: Salad
i.e. chicken taco salad (lettuce, chicken breast, cheese, green pepper, green onion, salsa and <1gm Carb per tbsp ranch dressing)
beef taco(less) salad
chef's salad

Dinner: Starter salad, and 1/3 meat, 1/3 carb, 1/3 veggie
i.e. (always start with a tossed salad)
hamburger with bun and cauliflower
steak, green beans and a small baked potato

No sweets, no coffee, absolutely no snacking between meals. I am not hungry and do not have cravings, but I am not losing either.

Have I got this right? Should I keep going awhile longer? I was on Atkins 2 years ago and did really well, losing 33 lbs in 4 months. Maybe CAD isn't right for me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 10:32
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Two things immediately come to mind. 1) Have you taken the CA test and what was your score? 2) You live in Canada and might be affected by winter weight gain syndrome (a variant of SAD)-Do you usually gain weight in the winter? Do you have a hard time losing weight in the winter?--If that's the case, you might just have to hang on and maintain until spring when your body will decide to start releasing fat naturally, at that point the diet will work for you, at this point no diet might.

The third is that CAD might not be for you and you need to find another plan that suits your body chemistry better. On the other hand 1 week is not enough to accustom your body to any new WOE and your body might need more time to adjust.

Hope this helped.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 10:37

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 157/147.5/138 Female 5 ft 6 1/2 in
BF:?/26%/24%
Progress: 50%

One other thought ... is your exercise regime new? If it is, then you could be building muscle (which is denser than fat).

Also, how about your clothes ... have you noticed any changes in the "pant-o-meter".

I live in Ottawa, and I'm beginning to think that my weight may be affected by the weather - it's extremely cold here (-22), and my weight is bouncing up for no reason that I can see.

Also, depending on your cycle, if TOM is due, you could bounce up.

Finally, on CAD, I find that my weight fluctuates by up to 3 pounds (up and down) overnight ... so the weekly averages are what count. You may be up today because you ate salty foods last night, in which case you'll probably drop back down tomorrow. And you're weekly average may be down a pound or two (which is the rate at which you should expect to lose on CAD - it's not fast, but it's a plan that you can stay on for a lifetime!)

Last edited by slimmin : Tue, Jan-14-03 at 10:40.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 10:54
Registered Member

Stats: 191/188/160
BF:
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up

Thanks for your advice. Yes, it is very cold here and yes, I do find it hard to lose, and often gain, in the winter. Last time I lost I started in March. Makes sense I guess.

Yes, exercise is new as well, that may be it partially. I will continue and watch my "weekly average" as well.

I took the test and I was a moderate CA. Although I've never been big on "sweets" I was a big pasta/potato/rice eater and really liked my potato chips.

Is my menu okay though? Am I on track there?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 11:16

Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

Your menu looks pretty good to me

The others are right, and it looks like you're not losing cause of a multiple of reasons, not your woe.

I bounce around a lot during the week too, but usually end up have a total loss of 1-2lbs per week average. A LOT of things can interfere with weight loss, and it sounds like you've got quite a few. So stick in there, at least you're not gaining a bunch of weight (like MOST people do over the winter and the holidays).

If anything, when the Spring hits and you're still not losing, kick it back to Atkins (or some other low carb plan that you do well on) and use CAD for the seasons. I know sooo many people that do that (not me).