Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 18:23

Plan: low carb
Stats: 165/165/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I'm sorry, I just can't do it

I have to confess. I have only been on the Atkins for 5 days, and I just can't hack it.

If I see another egg or piece of meat or cheese I think I will . . . .

I am not cut out for this. Though I will admit I was not hungry and it did cut my appetite. I just don't feel healthy without whole grain breads and starchy vegetables and a variety of fruit.

I wish you all well! I will have to find another form of weight loss, or just learn to be content and healthy the way I am.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 18:32
Registered Member

Plan: South Atkins
Stats: 299/285/220 Male 74 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Ah, come on now...yes you can!

I was in the same boat. After 4 days I was about to lose my mind, but I endured. There are so many great low carb products out there and so much support in here. You have to get creative, that's all. It will all fall into place, believe me!

<----Don't do this!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 19:21

Plan: LC food combining w/BFL
Stats: 210/178.5/145
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Other plans?

Have you checked out some other lc plans? There are several---Atkins being on the rigid end of the scale. The Zone focuses on a balance between carbs/fat/protien. CAD allow reward meals with carbs. Before you throw in the towel entirely, you may want to explore your options and find another plan that's more suited to your own needs. Good Luck and don't give up!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 23:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Re: I'm sorry, I just can't do it

Quote:
Originally posted by wannabefit
I just don't feel healthy without whole grain breads and starchy vegetables and a variety of fruit.

It is your body and your decision, but please don't let boredom be the reason for quitting. If you want whole-grain breads, make some with flaxseed meal - that's a whole grain. If you want vegetables, have you been eating them? Lettuce, tomato, onion, artichokes, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, baby corn, green beans and more? Variety IS the key to not quitting. And, what about berries? They're a fruit - a good one! BUY what you need, have it on hand, and eat it. But, to say you need potatoes or peas or a specific piece of high-carb fruit is an excuse. If you want to quit, don't use an excuse. Losing weight is, thanks to low-carbing, ALWAYS your choice.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 09:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/164/150
BF:
Progress: 55%

The first two weeks of induction can be tuff. Afterwards you can add more variety to your diet. Regardless, you need to find a plane that is comfortable to you. Check out the other plans and see if there is one that will suit your needs better.

Wishing you well.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 10:40

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Bye

Good luck and good health to you!

Donald
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 11:20

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

I can understand your decision, lcing doesn't suit everyone...my best pal lost 63lbs in 2002 by cutting sweets from her diet, walking and eating a very balanced diet. Most importantly, she didn't deprive herself, she just took better decisions about what she put on her plate.
Maybe this would be better for you too.
No matter what plan each of us chooses, we're all in this together.
Good luck with your future weightloss
Ali
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 12:16
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 193/146/128
BF:
Progress: 72%
Unhappy Please Don't

Please check out my journal and foods.... Please? You need to PLAN plan plan. & for my part, I added a limited amount of fruit (strawberries, pineapple, cantelopue) and I eat all the salad I like. I've lost 6 pounds in 9 days, and I am really enjoying it.

You can do it!!!

Be ready with deviled eggs, buy some lc bread (cinnamon swirl, chocolate, etc.) from synergy diet. Learn to bake coconut cake, Use sauces to change the texture and flavors of your meats.

Come on - you can do it! Stick it out for the full two weeks, then add some of the foods back you like.

Jen
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 13:29

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his

There are as many paths to success as there are people to take the paths.

The trick is to find your own pathway.

For many of us this is an easy and effective path to follow, because like me, they find eggs, meat and cheese very attractive, and very satisfying to eat day after day.

But others do not have this tolerance a fairly limited range of basic choices. And that is where creativity, research, and lots of hard work come in to create a personal pathway to success.

Do you think that part of this might be continuing cravings and fixations on carb favorites from the past?

If so, you might try looking at the Tips sections for ideas on how to blunt those cravings.

Are you taking chromium and L-Glutamine?? They might help. They sure did for my wife when she started.

Can you tolerate soy whey as a major source of protien, and work out ways to make it attractive and palatable through the addition of various fats like butter, olive oil and macadamia nuts.

Good luck, and I hope that you find a pathway that will let you shed the unwanted pounds of fat and get started on living fit for the rest of your life.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 13:33

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Question Oops!

Here is the rest of the quotation, that got cut off in the heading above:

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his
enemies; for the hardest victory is over self.
--Aristotle
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 17:47

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Default gone

I think the originator of this thread is already gone
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 21:07

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

Ladybug,

ha!

M-
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 21:33

Plan: low carb
Stats: 165/165/145
BF:
Default I'm not gone

No LadyBug555, the originator of this thread is not already gone.

I enjoyed all your replies and I thank you for your encouragment, chastisement, and well-wishes.

I am still determined to lose these old 20 pounds. But not by Atkins. I have tried Zone and Protein Power and other low carbers, and have learned a lot and definately agree to watch "junk carbs".

Since I eat pretty healthy normally and have learned a lot about nutrition over the years, I think I have to do something somewhat drastic to get these stubborn pounds off. My next idea is this: Fast every other day. On fasting days I will have only drink fluids including water, tea, V-8, and milk. On my nonfasting days I will eat balanced and only good complex slow-insulin-burning carbs for the carbs that I choose.

I think you all are wonderful and I will continue to read about your successes and struggles and maybe a time or two will pop in to say hi or ask advice or share victories!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 22:11
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Wanna,

Fasting is about the worst thing you can do to your body. Yes, you'll lose "weight" but an awful lot of that weight will be muscle. Losing fat is what we would all rather do.

Why don't you give Sugar Busters a try? Or Schwarzbein? They (and others, I'm sure) allow you to eat whole grains and a variety of fruit. Your body will thank you if you don't fast every other day.

I wish you all the best.

Rosebud
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 00:26

Plan: herbalife
Stats: 157/130/130 Female 61inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Hi Wannabefit

I also was on Atkins' a couple of years ago, and I myself found
it, a bit strict. I just began CAD about two weeks now, and
I find this is more my style, because of the reward meal at
which I can still have my breads, pasta, fruits and desserts.

Check it out before you give up all low carb plans ! I have tried
most of them and still find the CAD to be the most realistic one
for me.

ALICIA