Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 03:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Sucaryl Sweetener

Do any of you Kiwis use Sucaryl Liquid as a sweetener? I have never seen it mentioned here but I have been using it for a while and it is really good. It can be used for cooking and doesn't lose its sweetness. I find it much better than Splenda and it has no calories or carbs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 16:43

Stats: 245/236/140 Female 169cm
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Sucaryl

I havent tried sucaryl but have tried sugromax (a Hansells product) and it separated when I tried to bake something with it. Turned into this jelly-like stuff. Kinda looked like arrowroot or gelatine. Dont know what happened there but have been reluctant to use again. Have bought the splenda powder but it doesnt taste to hot. I must have extra sensitive tastebud or something. They all taste like chemicals to me. Bit of a pain so have had to resort to getting chocolate with very high cocoa solids (70%+) which has 25%carbs and eating only 1-2 square which works out to about 3gms carbs. Really extra chocolaty taste too so that when i was bad and had 1 square of cadbury energy choc it tasted like eatin pure sugar and was revolting. I know that if you give in once its bad but I couldnt live without ever eating sweet food again and i thought at least it was a compromise i could keep to. if I hadnt then i am sure i would breakdown and scoff doughnuts
I will have to try Sucaryl and see if I can use that
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 00:55

Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

i know what you mean. Sucaryl is cyclamate -banned in the USA- + sacharine. Tastes Ok to me so long as I don't use too much. The Montignac (low carb) Diet allows chocolate that is 70% cocoa solids and I have tried it but it was rather bitter. Might try melting it and adding Sucaryl. We do not seem to be able to get bakers unsweetened choclate that I see in recipes from the USA here, in spite of having a Cadbury factory here in Dunedin.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 01:25

Plan: atkins (kinda)
Stats: 196.6/188.1/150 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 18%

i've only used the sugromax tablets to sweeten coffee...but can go without easily enough. good to know it's no good in baking though, as thought i could use it if i *did* feel like something sweet (though not hot on sweets for the most part).

we get splenda in all forms down here...but geez it's expensive!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 17:39

Stats: 159/152/140 Female 163
BF:?
Progress: 37%
Default sucaryl

Hi eebee

There's info in Low Carb tips under Sweetner Info re Sucaryl - am

just finding my way around the site and came upon it.

Have a great day!

macadamia