Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 15:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/173/145
BF:?
Progress: 35%
Default cumin aioli and cheesecake

No... not together!

A couple quick questions for Karen!

Karen, I made your steak with cumin aioli and it was utterly divine. Any suggestions about what I can do with left-over cumin aioli?

Also, I am making your Vancouver cheesecake for Christmas. Would it be sacriligious to serve with a topping? (I may have some fussy guests) If not, could you recommend one for me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 15:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi bijou22,

Karen will be without internet access for a couple of weeks Anyone else with suggestions, feel free to jump in.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 22:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default hope I can be of SOME help....

I'm not a pro like Karen, but I am a complete foodie... ... so my suggestions would be (keeping in mind that personal taste is all):

I'd use the Cumin Aoli as a dressing or spread, like any flavoured mayonnaise, for a meat sandwich... roast beef on rye comes to mind. Just pop it into a container, refrigerate, and try to use within a couple of weeks at most. Home-made is preservative-free after all, at best-tasting reasonably fresh. I wouldn't try freezing it.

As for the famous Vancouver Cheesecake, I'm a sucker for a fresh fruity topping on this creamy confection. At this time of year, consider making a choice of berry toppings. Possibly a package of frozen strawberries, defrosted, sliced and stirred with a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, then left to sit to marinate for at least an hour to blend the flavours. I like a grind of black pepper in there as well, but don't tell anybody Another possibility is a warm cranberry sauce: 1 package cranberries, rinsed and picked over, then brought to a simmer with a quarter-cup of water (just enough to prevent scorching) and a cinnamon stick and a slice of ginger; simmer til the berries 'pop', then let cool, pull out the cinnamon and ginger, and stir in a bit of sweetener of choice. Will be very tangy.

Hope this helps.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 23:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

I recommend cherry and blueberry daVinci syrups as a topping for low-carb cheesecake.