Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 20:46
Registered Member

Plan: Cruisin' into Maintenance
Stats: 230/190/190 Male 74 in.
BF:??/18/??
Progress: 100%
Default New Member (Pleb)

Hello all,

I Found this site a few days ago and thought it was a great idea. For the past several months I've been thinking I need to do something about my weight. I've heard great things and success stories from people on the Atkins diet, so I set the goal to start right after Christmas, bugger the New Year's resolutions, I'll get 1 week head start and I've been looking forward to starting for a couple of weeks now. In hindsight...bad idea!.

I got a tonne of candy and biscsuits for Xmas, but I've just locked them away (or re-gifted them.......there's something wrong with discarding good candy!). So, Dec 26th came and I'm all about low carbs, doing the induction phase. Eating meats, eggs, tuna and all that 'free' stuff, along with vitamins and some very low carb 'treats' (a little salsa and veggies etc,.. to spice up the blandness) but staying 20 g or less.

I thought I'd suffer phyisically a little more. Before I started the diet, I could feel sugar cravings coming on at least every couple of hours during the day. Shaking, light headedness, irritability etc,.... but after day 2 I've been fine (physically). But boy, am I questioning this thing? No more bread, pasta, rice all the good (so called healthy) stuff that I used to eat by the pound.... OK, I can last 2 weeks for induction, then slowly reintroducing carbs back in small amounts, but long term.....phew! I've read that your tastes change and you no longer find that sweet and startchy foods are appealing, I guess I'm just waiting for this to happen.

Anyway, that's my story so far. I think this is a great site, and a great idea and I look forward to participating while I drop those pounds and shed those inches (being optimistic). By the way, I discovereed Hanson's Diet sodas with Splenda. No carbs no nothing and they taste great, but they taste so much better than anything else I'm able to eat I'm wondering if it's too good to be true.

Cheers,

Duncan

PS Even though my username is 'DunkyBoy' I am a fully grown adult, so don't be misled.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 11:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Welcome to the forum!

Yep, most people find that their tastes do change, and the 2 weeks induction period, when strictly followed, help with that.

Do I still get the odd craving or two? Sure, but I know how bad those carbs make me feel, and it is just not worth it!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 11:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Duncan. Heh - my mother found out a couple of months ago that she had cancer, and she's been off work since early December. She starts chemotherapy today. But what did everybody get her for Christmas? Chocolate, candy, cookies, Cinnabon cinnamon rolls, you name it! It was unbelievable. There was *so much* junk food at the house. So of course, she was trying to get me to take it home with me. I said, "no way!" I suggested that she take it to the food bank.

(But for the record, I ate a lot of said junk food while I was there. And my stomach still doesn't feel right. Be prepared: you will lose your tolerance. )

So anyway, welcome. Enjoy! There's some fantastic food to be had on this plan. I just polished off a big, cheesey omelette with mushrooms and tomatoes.