Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 00:14
Registered Member

Plan: Modified LC
Stats: 221/160/146 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Question CNN and Fish Oil???

I just read a report on the CNN web site about Atkins, dieting, safety and all. He doctor spoke about how well the Atkins diet was doing with cholesterol... be he said that was because EVERYONE on Atkins took fish oil capsules.

I don't take fish oil capsules... am I suppose to be? I don't remember reading that in the book.

Thanks,
Karla
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 05:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I believe in his book he calls it essential oils/fatty acids. And while he dosen't require it, they are one of the recommend supplements.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 06:28

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Re: CNN and Fish Oil???

Quote:
Originally posted by KDavis
he said that was because EVERYONE on Atkins took fish oil capsules.

If fish oil is responsible for the improvement by itself (and it's not that high fat diet, low carb diet we follow ) I guess there's no need for statin drugs after all; everyone can just take fish oil.
Not everyone who follows low carb takes it, but it's true that many do. Maybe because they follow Dr. Atkins' very good advice to take supplements?
Taking fish oil, on the other hand, does nothing to explain the dramatic drop in triglycerides which are also responsible for the improvement in cardiac profiles that many on low carb experience.
Sounds like yet another "expert" trying to explain away the benefits of low carb and push that "other" way of eating.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 08:25

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

I had a real problem with taking fish oil. Ugh!

Just eat fish.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 13:32

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Omega 3s The research

In response to: Taking fish oil, on the other hand, does nothing to explain the dramatic drop in triglycerides which are also responsible for the improvement in cardiac profiles that many on low carb experience.

read this link first then go on....
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...mega#post460766
------------------------------------------
http://health.iafrica.com/dietonlin...ypes/omega3.htm

"To date, most clinical trials with human subjects consistently show that fish oil supplements cause a decrease in VLDL triglycerides and some even observed a decrease in blood cholesterol. VLDL's are the fat-carrying lipoprotein particles that are predominantly enriched with triglycerides. Metabolically, omega-3 fatty acids decrease liver production of triglycerides. In general, the higher the concentration of fish oils in the diet, the lower the concentration of these VLDL fat carrying packages, and thus the lower is the blood triglyceride levels ."
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.healthandage.com/html/re...ttyAcidscs.html

"In addition, fish oil supplements containing EPA and DHA have been shown to reduce LDL ("bad") cholesterol and triglycerides ."
----------------------------------------------
Other excellent not lowcarb focused but well referenced and researched PRO omega 3 fat articles http://www.drsinatra.com/nc/wlc_fish_eggs.asp

http://www.jsonline.com/entree/cooking/mar02/25384.asp

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health...5-01-omega3.htm

Last edited by nsmith4366 : Sat, Dec-21-02 at 13:43.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 15:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Very interesting studies, but I also have to point out that my triglycerides dropped over 200 points before I ever added fish oil to my supplements and have not really dropped more than another 10-15 points since then.
It's always been my understanding that the best reason to take fish oil is to raise your HDL, but if they help triglycerides too all the better!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 16:11

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Omega 3 oils of plant baseed origin, flaxseed, soybean, linseed, walnut oils and canola oils can all be converted in the body to DHA and EPA (the substances of fish oil)...giving you similar lowering effects on tryglycerides, so fish oil might have a lot of what is necessary, but if you are already eating many omegas/essential oil (linoliec fatty acids) - did you know eggs contain a great deal of these omega 6? and (alpha linoliec fatty acids) - as listed above, you will also reap many benefits.

The major debate left is saturated fats, but even beef fat contains Omega 6 linoliec fatty acids- it's all about getting the RIGHT BALANCE of these essential fatty acids. They are all necessary, it's just that we are supposed to be getting more omega 3/than omega 6s. So go for the fish and plant/nut/seed based fats when you can, then the animal/diary protein (saturated omega 6). Balance is the key...it's not an all or nothing thing.

Walnuts
Fatty fish - coldwater /salmon trout, mackeral, fresh tuna, shark
herring, mahi mahi
Flaxseed
Canola
Soybean oil
walnut oil
Linsead oil

even if you aren't eating fish, increase in intake of essential fatty acids will improve your health in many ways.

Also excess carbohydrate increases tryglycerides...when I was living on bagel and potatos with no real fat my tryglycerides were downright frightening, now they are fine.

Last edited by nsmith4366 : Sat, Dec-21-02 at 16:12.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 20:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by nsmith4366
Omega 3 oils of plant baseed origin, flaxseed, soybean, linseed, walnut oils and canola oils can all be converted in the body to DHA and EPA (the substances of fish oil)...giving you similar lowering effects on tryglycerides, so fish oil might have a lot of what is necessary, but if you are already eating many omegas/essential oil (linoliec fatty acids) - did you know eggs contain a great deal of these omega 6? and (alpha linoliec fatty acids) - as listed above, you will also reap many benefits.
I used to think this was the case, Nancy, but some research I did this Summer has lead me to believe otherwise. It turns out that while some us can effect the conversion of ALA into EPA the conversion of it into DHA is is inefficient and very little of it actually happens.

Your best bet for getting a good dose of EPA and DHA comes from tuna, salmon, trout, mackerel, herring and sardines - the smaller fish being the best.

Nat