Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 13:48

Plan: Protein power
Stats: 138.6/132/103.4
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Tomatos?

Some magazines said 2-4 medium raw red tomatos daily are good for health..and they're low in calories. Are 2-4 tomatos too many for a low carb diet? Please suggest.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 15:14

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

Tomatoes are about 3 carbs each, raw. That's according to my book anyway. So it all depends on how many carbs you allow yourself per day as to how many of them you should eat...

I too have heard that tomatoes are an extremely good food and I love them so I tend to include 1 per day with my salad.

I read some of your posts...I hope you don't mind me saying but I really think you should do some more research into this WOE.
Try to stop thinking low-fat and start thinking low-carb, very very hard I know as we have been conditioned to low-fat for years now. Think about each food you eat and how much sugar is in it, read those labels.

Have a look at the kitchen section on here, it's great for new recipes and ideas...also read some journals as most people list their daily menus, use it as a tool for guidance on what/what not to eat. I've found nosing around in other folks journals really helpful and I know they don't mind !!

Good luck
Ali
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 06:14

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Tomato's carbohydrates

Hi Fatty

Tomatoes are a medium carb vegetable and have 3g carbs per 100 g. I also have one a day in my salad. I don't think I would have more than 2 a day.

Ali has given you some very good advice. I assume that you have the Atkins book. If not, then buy it immediately and whatever the case I think that you need to read it again. Our advice is no substitute for reading the hard facts.

If you can not find the carb content on food labels I often get my information from the Tesco and Sainsbury's on line shopping site by looking at the information on the product. You do not have to be ordering shopping to find out this information.

Good luck.