Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 12:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/209/120
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Hello

Hi everyone. I just started the Atkin's diet two weeks ago. I lost 8 pounds in the first week, and then....nothing. I gained a few pounds actually, b/c of TOM (which I got VERY unexpectedly in the middle of my controlled cycle...I'm reading that thats not unusual though)
I had a really rough first couple days...but my mom is an active alcoholic, and I kept telling myself I had no right to expect her to not drink if I couldnt not eat bread or cereal! An addiction is an addiction! But I made it over the hump...more or less...the thought of meat/eggs sometimes still kinda grosses me out...but I'm researching more recipes to help there...breakfast is a real issue...I'm not so fond of eggs.
Anyway, a little about me...I live in Iceland at the moment, so I'm having a really hard time finding all the flour and substitutes that are out there. I have about 70 lbs to lose, and am being treated for low thyroid...
I was trying a low-cal diet before, and am still adjusting to not worrying so much about that...in fact, I just found out that I am probably not eating ENOUGH right now...now THAT is a hard thing to get thru my head...I feel like a wutz when I eat as much as I'm supposed to!
I'm drinking all the water I should (most days anyway) and I find that sometimes, I just crave water!
I HAVE noticed that I don't have the sugar lows anymore, my moods are a bit more stable (once I got past the withdrawal issues) and my energy seems a bit higher.
I haven't noticed the keto breath, but I'm a bit worried I have it and everyone is too nice to tell me!
I'm getting ready to incorporate exercise into the mix...as soon as I can figure out how to pack a lunch for work, so I can work-out there and not have to run home every day to cook something.
Anyway, this is a TERRIFIC site! I have already learned so much from just lurking around here! Thank you all, its very nice to meet you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 13:33
Canuck Conundrum

Stats: 283/000/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:?///?
Progress: 275%

Welcome!

Start yourself a journal. You can record your food there and keep track of your intake. People will drop by and help out.

I know breakfast is an issue for lots of people...I don't mind eggs, but it gets boring after a while. I take both breakfast and lunch to work....so come by my journal and read for a bit....you may get some ideas for menus.

I have stayed away from all the subsititutes and "frankenfoods" because sometimes they make the cravings worse. I preferred to just let my body get used to being without....and have no problem with cravings now.

Read around ( specially the journals ) and you will get lots of ideas.

Couple of things.....good for you on the water..it's soooo important, and you may want to visit fitday.com. It has a great calculator that will help you see what you are eating. The ratio for fat/protein/carbs should be kept around 60/35/5....fitday will help you keep track. You should be eating 10 - 12 times your weight in calories.

Drop by my journal and say hi....and again...welcome!!!

Sam
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 15:57

Stats: 218/209/120
BF:
Progress: 9%

Thank you Sam! I followed your advice and started a journal and checked out fitday.com That should be a helpful site! I also checked out your journal...I have alot of reading to do to catch up there, but thank you! I've already picked up some helpful tips from you.
Thanks again!