Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 16:39

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default I am obsessed with the scale!!

Every single morning i get out of bed, rip off my clothes , and get on the scale - crossing my fingers and hoping to see a loss of weight. I feel like i am being driven by my scale and i find it is not good for my daily well-being. If the scale does not move or it shows as small as a .5 gain, i get really pissed off!!

I have been thinking about either tossing the scale all together, only getting on once a week, or once a month, etc..

I was wondering how often everyone else weighs themselves and what should we really be doing?

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 17:02
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Some people do better weighing in once a week and some once a month and then there's the daily weighers like myself.

For me, weighing in every day keeps me honest. Every time I've ever been on a diet I've always screwed it up for myself by overeating and not weighing in. The longer the timespan between weigh ins, the more I goof off. It's like if I don't see the number on the scale, then I couldn't possibly have gained any weight.

When I did WW and weighed in there weekly, I had a tendency to goof off the first few days after weigh in and then starve myself the day before and the day of the weigh in.

I've gotten used to seeing slight fluctuations and sometimes it seems like it takes forever to lose a pound, but for me, I am much better off weighing in every day.
asugar
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 17:29

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Throw it out.
Isn't why we started this way of eating to become LESS obsessed with numbers (our weight) and not MORE?
Toss it. Do it on trash day right before the trashman comes.

You will find a new sense of peace.

Measure your success by the fit of your clothing...and if that fails - buy new clothes!
Ha ha, just kiddin' with ya on the clothes part!

N
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 17:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/145/120
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default chuck the scale...

Our (women's ) bodies fluctuate so much throughout the month that the constant weighing isn't a good idea, I think. I became so obsessed with the slight upward and downward movements that it became a real problem and caused out of control angry, freaked out binging... like that was somehow going to help! When I started Atkins I decided to just not weigh myself at all and let my clothes do the talking (and the mirror) instead. I'm happier this way. Maybe one day when I'm comfortably wearing a size 4 and can't "pinch an inch" I might get back on, just out of curiosity.

Heather
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 18:08

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 186/161/138 Female 65 inches
BF:38/30ish/?
Progress: 52%

I felt lighter this morning and even got into a smaller pair of slacks, yet the scale was up almost a pound.

I tend to weigh every morning, and sometimes at night just to see the body fat register more accurately (when fully hydrated).

I'm using the scale as a guide as to what I ate the day or two before. I don't feel obsessed since it is only a tool. Plus I love to see it go down on my Weight Commander software.

If you feel obsessed, get it out of your bathroom. Maybe stick it away somewhere, and use it occasionally. Or ask your spouse or kid to hide it for awhile and see how you do without it.

It might be a pleasant surprise.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 19:17
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Do what works for you....if the thing bothers you every time it doesn't say something good, get rid of it.

Personally, I weigh in every morning just to see what's up with the numbers, but I don't stress about every little 1 up or 1 down. It's become something that I just do like brushing my teeth. Once a week is fine too.

Don't be obsessed by it though...there is SO much more going on in your body that just poundage going down! You're succeeding even when the scale may indicate otherwise!

#7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 19:28

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 208/153/135
BF:43%/??/20%
Progress: 75%
Angry I really hate my scale

I've stopped using mine on a daily basis - at first when the weight was whooshing off, it was exhilarating, but once I started to slow down, it just got frustrating. Itas not worth it.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 19:36

Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default I'm like you....

I get out of bed, drop any nightclothes on my way to the bathroom, empty myself of all possible, then get on the scale before gravity can start its downward pull. I do this every morning, and then I log it on fitday.

I've gotten used to some minor fluctuations, and the interesting thing is that fitday graphs it out so I can see my patterns.

It is also a motivator when I lose even half a pound and I've learned not to get too upset over a 1-1.5 lb fluctuation. That's my normal pattern.

I know that the scale doesn't help me lose. It only effects my feelings. Still, I know if I tossed it, I'd miss it. I'm probably addicted.

AJ
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 22:15

Stats: 222/207/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default weigh ins

I don't have a scale at home, when the last one broke, guess I wore it out, decided not to replace it. How I felt and how my clothes fit needed to mean more to me than the numbers. I do however weigh myself at the gym after water class 2 or 3 times a week and try to do this the same days each week to have a tracking system. Just can't give up wanting to track the numbers somehow.

I keep reading about the fitday site, going to have to check that out.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 07:33
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile My thoughts

I also was one with my scale and I weigh myself about two times a day. The thing is you have to understand what you see when you weigh yourself. If you haven't been drinking all your water or its the second week in your cycle you will weigh more. Or as I found out, if you start exercising. But understand these gains are normal. I found when I first started out, averaging the weighings for the week was helpful and of course, make a big deal of the lowest weight

Use the scale as an indicator not the all and be all.
(I should remind myself of this! )
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 09:18

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 224/210/180 Female 5'6" (67.2")
BF:36.2%/33.9%/29.0%
Progress: 32%
Unhappy Daily Weighing

I've stopped weighing daily. I did this for over 4 months and then spent the whole day agonising over the reading. I now have my scale in the kitchen cupboard and no longer in the bathroom. I feel better weighing in once a week. Its not just about the numbers...its about feeling good and healthy.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 10:27

Plan: My own
Stats: 165.5/155/135 Female 5'2"
BF:Too much
Progress: 34%
Lightbulb Measure yourself..

I go to Curves for women and they do it once a month for me and last night their scale had me down a pound but I lost 6.75 inches and the bulk of that was from my abdomen and hips so I highly suggest that you take measurements and do those monthly..it helps a great deal when the scale isn't moving...

Last edited by Mjsturg1 : Tue, Dec-10-02 at 10:28.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 12:19

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 198.3/178.7/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Last year when I tried Atkins, I was weighing myself probably twice a day, sometimes more. I believe that was a big part of not being able to stay with the program, as I was getting too obsessed with the scale and the numbers. This time, I have made a promise to myself to only weigh on Sunday mornings. It has helped to keep me sane - and gives me more control so I'm not controlled by the scale!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 13:21
Registered Member

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

I just want to remind everyone that water weights 8.8lbs per gallon, also muscle weights more them fat. If you weight yourself to often I think that your going to drive yourself crazy! I weigh myself once a week, on Sunday morning and have my skinney overalls that I try one once a week to see if the feel less tight.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 13:42

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Talking Weigh every day blues!

I realize from reading these posts that for women weighing in every day may be tough with changes thru the month. Myself I weigh in every day as a guide to how I am doing. I want to know every day so I can control what I eat. I agree with some other posters it is just something I do every morning. I will say that when I was in induction I did have same frustrating times with it in plateaus. I can understand how it can get you down if you gain or are stuck! Everyone just has to choose for your self. I don't know how you can completely go without and occasional weigh in to see where you are at. But I am sure some people do it by going by the size clothes they wear.