Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 13:09
Registered Member

Plan: lc
Stats: 130/128/110 Female 5'1"
BF:33%
Progress: 10%
Default Lack of energy - help?

I started CALP almost 2 weeks ago. It's the only LC diet I seem to be able to stick with and I like it. I've had less hunger and no cravings (wow, I looove this) and have been eating healthy.... protein and lots of LC veggies for CM's and good healthy food mix for RM. I'm down 3 pounds so I'm doing it right and it is working for me.

I'd be so happy but I'm finding myself too low in energy ! Now, I'm not a high energy person to start with but I've been particulary fatigued as of late, I can't even do the simplest of exercise. I have thyroid & other issues but just had bloodtests come back all good.

I'm not 100% sure it is the diet but it sure could be. I wonder if I should eat a bowl of cereal to see or just quit the diet altogether though I'd prefer to stick it out. No other way of eating allows me any weightloss and such control of hunger, but if I can't get off the couch that's not good either.

Any suggestions, please ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 14:34

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%

I'd stick with it and give your body a chance to adjust. When I first started Atkins, it took me a while to get over the fatigue. My muscles would wear out pretty fast when I was exercising. I felt good otherwise, but the workouts were rough and it took months before I actually got back anywhere near normal.

Also, are you taking vitamins? That is an important ingredient to include. And, are you getting enough calories? You may want to check on fitday.com and see where you are at if you haven't already.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 14:38
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Moi,
You're body is telling you something by the low energy. The first thing that came to mind is if you are getting enough food. What times are you eating? And how much?

We're used to being controlled by high insulin levels and may not recognize plain hunger for what it is.

In my opinion make sure that you are eating 2CMs and RM and have them spread out through the day to supply a constant energy source. Post your menu with meal times here and let one of the experts give you their opinion.

I don't know if you were doing lowcarb before this, but if you weren't maybe your body is just adjusting to the change. If you eat high carb for a few days and you're energy comes back then you have your answer, and can add more carbs to the RM.

Nancy

Last edited by nawchem : Sun, Dec-08-02 at 14:40.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 08:31
Registered Member

Plan: lc
Stats: 130/128/110 Female 5'1"
BF:33%
Progress: 10%

Vitamins: regular vitamin pills hurt my stomach, I've tried many varieties... previous to last week I was getting my vitamins with a daily afternoon snack slimfast shake... YUM! But since CADing I've not been doing that. Think an afternoon shake would be ok? I figured not.. but I've lost the vitamins.

I'm sure I'm eating enough, in fact, I think I've started eating too much, lol... my eggs OR turkey bacon breakfast recently turned into eggs AND turkey bacon. My weight is up a bit. This morning I chose just eggs.

Here is a typical day:

Mid-Morning CM Breakfast: 1-2 eggs or 4 turkey bacons with plenty of celery stalks and tomatoe.

Early Afternoon CM Lunch: Protein (1/2 chicken breast, leftover meat from last night's dinner, canned salmon) with vegetable (big salad or half plate hot veggies)

Evening RM Dinner: I try to eat a wholesome regular mix of protein, something wholegrain starchy and/or fruit, and lots of veggies (salad and/or hot veggies). Of course, being holiday time chocolate or cookies had sometimes entered the evening meal... but that's not regular or something I want to keep at... and I lost despite that.

If I'm hungry before dinner I'll have an afternoon protein/veggie snack.

ok, so what do you think of that? Maybe I do just need time to adjust. I like that I'm just not always hungry all the time anymore. I actually feel satisfied at my evening meal instead of previously eating a whole meal and still being hungry... that was puzzling. I did just switch back to a Thyroid med that I used to feel better on, so hopefully that will help too. Not sure what to do about the vitamins/slimfast though.

suggestions welcome! thanks for listening!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 09:09
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

How about trying this for the vitamins. Eat half your food, take your vitamins, eat the other half of your food. That might buffer your stomach and most vitamins recommend they be taken with food anyway. Just make sure your vitamins don't have sugar in them. A lot do. You really need vitamins for energy.