Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 09:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/154.5/135 Female 5'5"
BF:38.8%
Progress: 51%
Default What happened to me?????Please help

Okay last night was my second day of induction. I have been following it well and posted my menu to ensure that I was doing it right. One viewer said that maybe I wasn't eating enough fat.
But my question is I woke up at about 4 AM soaking wet freezing cold. (cold sweats) too weak to get out of bed. Finally when I did I got to the kitchen just in time to get a cookie and then had to sit dwn otherwise I would have past out. After I ate the cookie I was fine. I'm still a little shacky but I think that is due to fear! Can someone tell me if this is normal or if my fat intake could have caused this or what. I was experiencing headaches all day 2 and was told this was withdrawal. Was that withdrawal also? If it could have been my diet please look at it in the posting titled "Am I doing it right?"
I realize that I have to start over again but I will wait until I hear something from someone.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 09:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Looking at your journal, it looks like you are not eating enough. Your weakness and sweats sounds like what I used to go through when I was having a low blood sugar moment. - and it could be and is a sign of sugar/carb withdraw. During induction you are detoxing from the carbs and you need not be afraid of the food that is on the induction list. Eat every few hours - and remember what Dr Atkins says "If you are hungry, you aren't doing Atkins right!"

Make sure you eat around the 20 grams of carbs, drink plenty of water - and take your vitamins!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 09:30
Registered Member

Plan: Modified LC
Stats: 221/160/146 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Arrow A couple of problems

First off, the "normal" person (one who is not dieting in any way, shape or form) requires a minimum of 14grams of fat in their diet per day just for minimal health. Fat is not your enemy. On this WOE fat not only provides the conduit for fat soluble vitamins, but also helps you body find balance in maintaining a constant energy level.

Your diet should have a minimum of 40% of your calories from fat... some places say 60%!!! You have to change your thinking from low fat to low carb... it is different.

Secondly, I don't know what your portions are, but you also need to do some research on calories while on induction. It is keeping your carbs low... not keeping EVERYTHING low.

The "withdrawal" is two part... most all of us are coming off caffeine, but the sugar withdrawal is often painful. Your body is going through a detox process... ever seen anyone in an alcohol or drug rehab? Taking things away from your body that it is used to is not pretty!

You need to spread your water out over the entire day. It is not actually good to drink too much with meals as it 'waters down' the digestive juices. Take your body weight and divide by two. The number you get is how many ounces you should drink in a 24 hour period.

Should you get 'shaky' again, don't go for the cookie... have a tablespoon of peanut butter. It will stop the shakes and not blow your good efforts.

Good luck,
Karla
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 10:45

Default Thank you

Thank you very much for your help. I am feeling better about the process now. Last night just through me or a loop! One question though. Approximately how long to the withdrawl symptoms last. The headaches I can suffer through but the shakes and sweats are going to be much more difficult to survive. But I'll forge through if I now that there is an end in site.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 10:49

BF:

The time period for everyone to go through withdraws varies from person to person, the worst of the shakes should be gone in the first day or two, from then on it is down hill.

The first week is definately the roughest, but do hang in there - there is an end in sight!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 13:50
Registered Member

Plan: Modified LC
Stats: 221/160/146 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Arrow withdrawal...

Withdrawal is different for everyone, but one thing is the same for us all... you need lots and lots of water to clear your system. Since you are just beginning, have you studied about suppliments? I didn't read anything in there about what suppliments you are taking each day. Detox releases a lot of junk into your system... high levels of vit. C helps to keep down some of the pain. You potassium/sodium/calcium/magnesium relationship is critical.

Are you eating/drinking better today?

Karla
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 14:31

Default Supplements

yes I am eating much better today and have spread out my water comsumption through out the day. So far I have drank 32 ozs. As for eating I had 2 whole eggs scrambled for breakfast with 1 oz cheese and 2 stripd bacon. Lunch I had 1 oz cheese and two slices ham. My thing is that I am not hungry during the day. The evenings are when I most crave food. I have my dinner planed out to have a salad with ranch dressing, pork chops and brocoli and cauliflower. For snacks I have ham and turkey in the fridge as well as cheese and hard bolied eggs. I am feeling much better now. Still some headaches but because I ate the cookie I am starting again right? If I take a multi vitamin each day this will help with withdrawal symptoms? How difficult is it to find a multi vitamin without iron in it? Any suggestions? Keep in mind that pills are not my thing. They either have to be small enough for me to swallow, coated, or big enough for me to cut up. I'm really screwed up that way. Bad memories with a pill and my throat! PAINFUL!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 14:37

BF:

Sounds like you are off to a great re-start!

A multivitamin isn't just for withdraw symptoms - but for your bodies general well being and metabolism. I've heard of people not taking their vitamins, and being listless, achy and tired - once they start taking their vitamins regularly - they perk right up!

My vitamin is iron-free, but I've gotten it on-line - I need to find a local source though - and of course it is the obligitory horse-pill. Try browsing your local pharmacy or health food store to see if you can find one that meets your requirements.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 18:07
Registered Member

Stats: 162/137/140
BF:
Progress: 114%
Arrow Headaches & Miracle Cures

Hi there! Congratulations on sticking with it through a rough patch. I am on Atkins, and am now at my goal weight! I can tell you a bit about my experience, especially with headaches.

I used to be a chronic migraine sufferer. One way to combat the headaches on Atkins is to bend Dr. Atkins' rules a bit. You see, Dr. Atkins recommends that you banish caffiene from your diet, along with all of the other bad things. This is the one piece of advice that I haven't heeded, and here's why:

All of the "miracle drugs" on the market today that have a "special enhancing ingredient" are simply run-of-the-mill pain killers with caffiene. See, caffiene has a specific physiological effect: it helps to slightly constrict the blood vessles in your brain, thus helping to ease the pain of a vascular headache.

When you eliminate caffiene from your diet, you may find yourself getting headaches. I did. I find that a cup of coffee with cream and Splenda in the morning will head this off at the pass. In addition, there is a good deal of new research out there indicating that caffiene consumption (in moderation, of course) can be especially beneficial for the mental health of women as they age.

Like everything, the jury is still out. However, I find that bending the caffiene rule leaves me feeling energized and headache free.

Annie
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 18:24

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 186/161/138 Female 65 inches
BF:38/30ish/?
Progress: 52%

My suggestion would make sure to eat something before bedtime tonight (perhaps some cheese, or maybe even peanut butter as someone suggested).

I have had night faints before and yes they are due to an extreme drop in blood sugar. It is just your basic "fainting" spell and you had the classic symptom of the cold sweat (I went to the dr. for this). But that you woke up with it, and not woke up, stood up, have cold sweat, then almost faint, seems kind of strange.

Do you notice that you can't drink cold water on an empty stomach first thing in the morning? It causes something that can make you feel strange and even faint.

Try eating more for a few days and hopefully it will work itself out. Maybe even keep something at your bedside just in case.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 19:16

Default Thank you

Thanx! I will try that!

I have surpassed the 20 grams today (22 grams) but will get very strict in this tomorrow. I have to go to the grocery store to get some peanut butter.

Here two a LONG two weeks!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 08:19

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 186/161/138 Female 65 inches
BF:38/30ish/?
Progress: 52%

I'm curious to how you felt last night? Please let us know.

Be sure to buy natural peanut butter (I'm sure you know that) with no added sugar. I also like almond butter, but will wait till induction is over before I start in on those things. It will be a nice snack at work though (I'm getting tired of cheese...go figure...LOL)
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 08:49

Default Feeling better

I did fine last night. Tired this morning but that could be because my daughter i teething and was up a few times.
Iate 22 grams of carbs yesterday, have the headaches and an almost metallic taste in my mouth. Other than this I am optomistic about today.
Thanx for your concern.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 10:42

BF:

Quote:
an almost metallic taste in my mouth

Congrats, sounds like you are in ketosis!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 10:22

Default Shakes

OKAY I HAD THE SHAKES AND COLD SWEATS LAST NIGHT AGAIN. BUT I WAS ABLE TO KEEP IT UNDER CONTROL WITH A PIECE OF CHEESE AND HAM. I AM WEAK AND HAZY BUT I AM FORGING THROUGH!