Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 15:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default This WOE isnt working for me! Suggestions welcome.

Hi everybody- I have been away from here for months and have been on and off the fat loss business for a while. so now I am getting serious and starting on 9 November have been very good and kept to low carb writing everything down in my software etc. I started out at 83kg and went to 79.4 by the 21st. Since then it has all stopped and has now gone back up to 81kg. I do not have any idea why.
I have read just about all the books and have quite a bit of knowledge about the process, and believe in it is the best way to eat. I am pleased to see that there have been quite a few articles and studies coming through in the media lately and feel sure that we are about to see a swing away from low fat high carb advice at last- but I am not a very good ambassador for it at present!

The only thing I can think of that I could add would be some exercise. I am starting to think I should reduce my calories as well as carbs. Any suggestions or ideas would be gratefully received.
Eebee

Last edited by eebee : Wed, Nov-27-02 at 15:44.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 16:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Would you be able to post some samples of the things you eat? Say for example, pick 3 days, and let us know what you ate on those days, and how much water you drank. We might be able to see something that needs a tweek. It's very hard to say without knowing what you are eating.

Also, are you on any medications? Has there been a major stress in your life? These things all could affect weight loss.

Also, it's quite common to lose, lose nothing, gain some back, and lose again. The journey down is a crooked road. The scale is not the best judge of what's happening. How do your clothes fit?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 02:16

BF:

Ok thanks -I will write out my food for the next 3 days-will post it on Monday. that should keep me on the straight and narrow for the weekend.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 10:44
Registered Member

Stats: 176/152/145
BF:
Progress: 77%

Just so you know:

At my highest I was 82kg. I worked it down to 79 in several weeks of excercise and starvation eating, but realised I would never maintain this, so I started the atkins. It's been 7 or 8 weeks now and I've lost over 10kg. My weight loss, if anything, has just gotten faster as the diet goes along.

I do find that even the midlest cheating will cause me to plateau, so that is what you might want to look into.

Also, check ALL your foods - some stuff you might never believe contains loads of carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 04:35

BF:

Thankyou for that - it helps to hear of other peoples progress. It gets a bit discouraging to be in ketosis, eating around 30- 40 carbs a day and then put weight on! I have a suspicion it might be because I have a couple of glasses of wine in the evening. I did lose the first kgs when having wine though and it didn't seem to matter. Don't want to give it up unless I have to!

What do you think about calories? A couple of low carb books do suggest cutting them down.

Eebee
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 04:39

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 182/182/155
BF:
Progress: 0%

I feel like that now as I have not lost anything in the last five days although I did lose 10 pounds in the first 11 days of induction..... Buy stick to it... reading all the journals it is evident that there are stalls.... like waves ride them and you will get over it.

Tina
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 09:41
Registered Member

Stats: 176/152/145
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally posted by eebee
Thankyou for that - it helps to hear of other peoples progress. It gets a bit discouraging to be in ketosis, eating around 30- 40 carbs a day and then put weight on! I have a suspicion it might be because I have a couple of glasses of wine in the evening. I did lose the first kgs when having wine though and it didn't seem to matter. Don't want to give it up unless I have to!

What do you think about calories? A couple of low carb books do suggest cutting them down.

Eebee

Wine could certainly be it. Not only does it contain carbs, but it also contains alcohol. Your body will burn alcohol before it burns fat.

There are certain foods for me, even if they do not put me over the carb limit, that cause me to stall. Then there are other foods that I can eat which might put me up close to the limit but will still allow me to lose weight.

What sometimes happens to me is if i try new foods i'll create stalls. What I would suggest for you is to go back to basics, for a week eat stuff that you KNOW doesnt contain carbs and see if it works.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 18:26

BF:

OK -thought that might be the way to go. I will 'sign the pledge' for a one week trial!