Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 16:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%
Default What Heart Rate do I need to aim for?

I've been searching Google and the forums here, but so far have not come up with an answer.

I just started working out after about 15 years of not doing a thing.
41 years old, 5'9", 169/170 lbs - my resting heart rate is 74 bmp

When I'm on the bike, what heart rate should I aim for and for how long do I need to keep it there? My goal is - other than the fat burning - just a healty fitness level.

I'm also assuming that the cardio work-out is for just that - my heart and lungs, and so it does not really matter if that's bike, treadmill, stepper, or whatever? That would just be a matter of variety to avoid boredom? Is that correct?

And while I'm at it - for the weight lifting - what should I strive for primarily? Number of reps or set or more weight? During orientation I was told to find a weight I could do 12 to 15 reps, no less than 8, and once I managed 15, to up the weight or add sets. What would be the best way to go for max results?

Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 01:55

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: What Heart Rate do I need to aim for?

Quote:
Originally posted by Thelma
I've been searching Google and the forums here, but so far have not come up with an answer.

I just started working out after about 15 years of not doing a thing.
41 years old, 5'9", 169/170 lbs - my resting heart rate is 74 bmp

When I'm on the bike, what heart rate should I aim for and for how long do I need to keep it there? My goal is - other than the fat burning - just a healty fitness level.

You should find your RHR decreasing as you become more cardiovascular fit.
There are 2 ways of calculating heart rates.
The straight line method is what you will see on the charts in the gym ~ they're just general guidelines. Formula = 220 minus your age = your theoretical max. Multiply that by .60-.85 depending on what zone you want to be in.
The more accurate method is the Karvonen method.
220-your age-RHR X (.60-.85)+RHR = your training zone
So, as you can see, you could be anywhere from 116 to 163.
If you're doing cardio 3Xweek, try starting out with 137-142 BPM for 30 mins 2Xweek and 152-163 BPM 1Xweek 20-30 minutes. Do this after your weight training.
Quote:

And while I'm at it - for the weight lifting - what should I strive for primarily? Number of reps or set or more weight? During orientation I was told to find a weight I could do 12 to 15 reps, no less than 8, and once I managed 15, to up the weight or add sets. What would be the best way to go for max results?

It depends on your goals, but that's a good place to start.
Quote:
and once I managed 15, to up the weight or add sets. What would be the best way to go for max results?

I'd up the weight before adding sets.