Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 18:14

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%
Default 2 weeks w/o wt and what about 8-6-4 reps?

Here are 2 questions thrown into 1 thread

Tomorrow I will resume weight training after 2 no nearly 3 wks without weight training because of a cycling holiday of 16 days (actually 8 days cycling & 8 days of rest and/or walking around interesting towns in Portugal).

Where do you restart when coming back? I thought to just pick up things where i left them, but go back 1 week.

The other question is about reps. I am going to dish the BFL program because it didn't sit right with my spinning sessions. When I had done legs on Friday, my legs would be shot on Saturday at spinning. Since the spinning sessions are on fixed days (Wed & Sat morning) I thought it would be a better idea to do legs on a fixed day as well (Monday, right after a smallish carb load in the weekend).
I also thought it would be better to split up the upper body and do the back with the shoulders separate from chest , tri & biceps. But this also means I can devote more time to each muscle group.
What is the desired rep range for someone with weakish muscles who is more looking at strength (big is not strong, strong is strong = my motto at BB forums) than at muscle size.. I heard that low volume leads to higher strength.
So I thought to do 2 sets for the small muscles with an 8-6-4 approach and 3 sets for the big muscles.

Now I am abandoning the BFL approach I also feel like an orphan regarding what to do!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 06:47

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

Back again.. when I calculated the number of reps in the BFL approach which I liked except for the inequality of exercises (12-10-8-6-12 for one and just 12 for the other) I came to 60 reps total. For the 8-6-4 that would just be 2 times 18 = 36.. somehow it seemed like a too large difference. So this morning i added the 10 back as a warming up set.
It feels better that way: 10-8-6-4.

Now I am having 2 upper body days, 1 lower body and 1 full body day (tomorrow with spinning and upper body wt with some extra wt for areas that get neglected otherwise, like hip adductor/abductor). I could also break up the lower body exercise and do some of that on Saturday instead? Eg. I used to do quads, hams, gluteus and calves in one day. Especially adding the gluteus was a bit of overkill.
The calves can easily be done separately on an upper body day as they are small muscles. But the gluteus is one of the largest muscles. Though some may say that the deadlift already targets the gluteus, I like doing them separately. Apart from vanity, it is also because I used to do a number of these exercises as part of a rehab program for improving a foot problem (step up and dumbbell lunge).