Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 12:24
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Americans get bulk of nutrition info from TV

Last Updated: 2002-10-29 13:00:32 -0400 (Reuters Health)

By Suzanne Rostler

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Television is the top source of nutrition information for nearly three quarters of Americans, out-performing newspapers and the Internet in a national survey.

And 58% of the 700 adults surveyed by the American Dietetic Association (ADA) cited magazines as a major information source, up from 47% in 2000. The Internet was cited by 13% overall, up from 6% in 2000, and was most popular among adults aged 25 to 34 and college graduates.

Overall, all information sources were cited more often in the latest survey, compared with 2 years ago, indicating greater interest in news in general, including nutrition news, Dr. Jeff Hampl, a registered dietitian and professor at Arizona State University in Phoenix and an ADA spokesman, told Reuters Health.

More information appears to be translating into action. A greater percentage of Americans said they were taking steps to improve their nutrition and health, according to the survey, which grouped respondents into one of three categories based on their stated commitment to a healthy lifestyle.

About 38% of respondents fell into the "I'm Already Doing It" category in 2002, up from 28% in 2000. People in this group reported making improvements in their eating habits over the past 2 years.

At the same time, 30% of respondents fell into the "I Know I Should, But..." category, down from 40% in 2000. There was no change in the percentage of individuals in the "Don't Bother Me" category, which describes people who are not concerned with nutrition.

However, Hampl said the increasing number of Americans battling excess weight suggests that while people may be interested in taking action, they are not always doing so. According to two recent studies, rates of overweight and obesity among adults and children soared between 1988 and 2000.

Among adults, the rate of extreme or morbid obesity nearly tripled over the past decade, while more and more children are being diagnosed with previously adult obesity-linked conditions such as high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes.

Part of the problem is confusion over the idea that all foods are okay in moderation. "Moderation," Hampl said, is a subjective term.

"When I say moderation I mean once every 6 months, but some people assume they can have it as often as they want, as long as they have a little bit," he said. "Any food can be enjoyed; it's just a matter of how often, how much, and how does your overall diet justify including that food."

In other survey findings, many people remain confused about what constitutes a serving size. Most people overestimated the serving size of cooked pasta or rice (a half-cup); cooked meat, chicken or fish (2-3 ounces); and cooked vegetables (a half-cup).

http://www.reutershealth.com/archiv...029elin003.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 12:40
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

Quote:
......In other survey findings, many people remain confused about what constitutes a serving size. Most people overestimated the serving size of cooked pasta or rice (a half-cup...
Indeed. I read the nutrient info. on a box of whole wheat pasta recently ... the serving size was 85g (3 oz) of dry pasta, which measures approx. 1½ cups when cooked. That's three bread and grains portions right there. Yet most folks would consider it to be just one.

And, as a former carb glutton, I can vouch for the fact that 1½ cups of cooked pasta is not a huge portion. Unless it's just a side dish as part of a larger meal, the tendency would be to have way more than that. Easy to see how people could consume the Food Pyramid's recommended quota of the Breads, Grains and Cereals group at a single meal.

Doreen