Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 20:30

Plan: Dr Schwarzbein
Stats: 132/118/110
BF:
Progress: 64%
Arrow Fructose???

I was just wondering why fructose is not used more in Low-Carb stuff? I hate the taste of all fake sugars. Fructose is absorbed in the small intestines at a slow rate and does not stimulate insulin release. From what I understand fake sugars will stimulate insulin secretion. And the glycemic index is much lower then sugar. So why are people using fake stuff and not fructose?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 22:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Exclamation

I've posted some information about the dangers of fructose here.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 10:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 274/250/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

Doreen,
Thank you so much for this information. I started out Sommersizing and she said it was ok to use fructose in small quantities, so I've never thought anything of it.
What kind of sweetner do you use? I've been using splenda, but now hear bad things about it too. Is there nothing ok?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 16:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Nikki,

I use very little sweetener; over time I've lost that "tooth" But sometimes use liquid stevia extract, which is a natural herb. It has a sweetish taste but no carbs or calories. There was a discussion about stevia some time ago in the Low-Carb Products forum ... check it out here.

I also have a bottle of liquid SugarTwin, which in Canada is cyclamate. A few drops each of the stevia and Twin give a better sweet taste than either of the two alone, and you can actually use less overall.

hth,

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 18:04

BF:

Thanks for the reply, Doreen. I've heard of stevia, but not tried it yet. I don't use much sweetner anymore either. In fact, since I quit sommersizing, I haven't had any desserts. That was a big problem and one reason I was stalling. But sometimes I make a recipe that calls for a sweetner, such as french dressing and you just have to have it. I haven't been able to go to just oil and vinegar for a salad. I tried Paul Neumans and although it was ok, still not like ranch or french.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 20:36

BF:

Well, I can understand the concern with HFCS because they use lots of it to make things like pop and juice really sweet, but it seems to me that if I need a sweetner for my decaf coffee then something natural like a little fructose is better for me then some chemical that tastes bad. As for stevia... OH UCKKKK!!! I think that is the most bitter stuff I have ever tasted, I think my bitter taste buds are extra sensitive. I have cut way back on my sweet tooth but I still need some for like coffee and special occations. I guess I am still a beginner in this whole low-carber community.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 05:38

BF:

Sonikrx,
I'm like you I'm afraid. I will still use splenda and sometimes fructose, but knowledge is a good thing. I admire that you're doing Schwarzbein. She is against fructose too as I'm sure you've read. What I'm saying to myself, almost everyday, is moderation in all things. My use of sweetners included.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 08:44

BF:

Wow, nikkic I just noticed how well you are doing, I really like this low carb stuff!!!! I kinda read several of the low carb books and adapted it all to what I thought I could handle. I am with you on the moderation.My husband and I are doing most things right but every once in a while we have to splerge but even that is in moderation. My husaband, by the way, has gone from 243 to 219, I think his goal is about 180. He is loving this because is a real meat eater.
Keep it up and MODERATION can be our new motto
Soni
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 09:42

BF:

Hi Soni,
Thanks for the kind words. I've done the same thing with adapting. I still kind of do some Sommersizing, a little of Atkins and now Schwarzbein. My DH is eating what I eat, but he still eats stuff he shouldn't like sugar, ice cream, donuts, sugar frosted flakes and since he's a man, he's losing weight. Still I know I'm doing my body a big favor by avoiding those things. I feel so good and if I do eat sugar, I feel really bad. I keep telling him, if he'd give it up, he'd feel so much better. When I do splurge, which isn't too often, it's at a restaurant. Like a couple of weeks ago, I had flour tortillas with my frajita's. So even though they weren't really part of my diet plan, they weren't as bad as eating a donut, I figure. Still, I didn't feel real good after that meal, so I try to just bypass that kind of thing most of the time.

My other motto, which was almost a mantra when my 2 DD's were teenagers, is patience. I am trying to be patient with my body and not expect an overnight quick weight loss. I know if I lose too quickly, it won't be permenant or what I desire anyway.

Nikki