Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-01, 08:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/139/120
BF:
Progress:
Question OWL-ongoing weight loss

Once I get past the Introduction part on the diet (I'm only on day three, just thinking ahead), can I start to include the products that are made especially low-carb, i.e. Atkins muffins and pancake mixes, or should I wait for the weight to come off then use them on the Maintenance?

Lesley
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-01, 08:38

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Once you get past the induction you can use them. However it depends on *IF* you are going to stay on the induction level of carbs or increase like the book suggests.

If you are going to increase the carbs you need to watch the daily carb intake just like on induction. If one muffin or pancake is 28 grams each and your daily carb intake is 30 guess what? You have 2 grams to play with for the rest of the day.

I have never used the muffin or pancake mix so I have no idea how many carbs they have each. Just pay attention to what your daily carb intake is compaired to how many is in the product.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-01, 09:21

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

a lot of people find themselves stalled by eating to many of the specialty lowcarb foods. it's probably best to just have them occasionally as a treat.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-01, 18:10

Stats: 115/108/105
BF:
Progress:
Smile After Induction

After inducton you should only be adding carbs in 5 gram increments. Count all of your carbs throughout the day (even the hidden ones and don't go overboard. The lowfat pancakes taaste a bit like the breakfast bars. The syrup is divine.

Good Luck
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-01, 18:22
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Tamara, welcome aboard

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-01, 18:48

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/233/???
BF:
Progress:

Hello Carbless:

A petite word of caution...

When you are ready, you might just want to do a bit of investigation before trying any of Dr. Atkins mixes and stuff.

That stuff can haul off and bite you (it's just plain nasty!) and you don't need an experience like that in the beginning, plus, it's mighty expensive. There are other alternatives to try when you are ready.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-01, 19:30

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Really eh Robin, what did you try? I have used the baking mix and have heard some say not so good. I made cookies with it and loved it....LOL...But then I pretty much eat anything, except veggies that are good for you....LOL
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-01, 01:20
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Lesley,

Kudos to you for thinking about the future. To be successful, you have to see LC with you forever. You're only on day three of induction and this is one of the hardest periods. De-carbing is not fun. LC is a wonderful, illuminating and frustrating journey, all at the same time!

I think that nothing beats real food and that it's important to eat real food and stay away from substitutes. When this has become a Way-of-Life of life for you instead of a diet, you'll find that your desire for high-carb food and substitutes becomes a distant memory.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-01, 02:26

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/233/???
BF:
Progress:

what did you try? I have used the baking mix and have heard some say not so good. I made cookies with it and loved it....LOL...But then I pretty much eat anything, except veggies that are good for you

Let's see. The Dr. Atkins mix was $20.00 and I decided to try to make the "Red Lobster" type biscuits with it. Well, like I said before, I never had food bite me back! The stuff smelled okay but when you took a bite, the aftershock was a bit much! I think there may be too much baking powder or something in it.

I was going to throw them out but the next day, being in a hurry and not having anything ready for lunch, I decided to take them for lunch. They had not mellowed overnight! They were just as bad the next day, but not being one to forfeit food willingly, bit the bullet and managed to get them down.

We made the Beef Fajita recipe and since it only calls for I believe 1/4 cup of the mix, was pretty good, only because you have to use so little of the mix.

We have also tried the Advantage bars. They have a very unusual taste because of all the vitamins. An acquired taste I suppose. At $3.95 per bar, this is a pretty expensive treat. Not a bad price if it is a meal replacement but for that price, I would rather make a great salad!

Borowski's Health Food Store sells the Dr. Atkins raspberry syrup. Now, suprise suprise, that tastes not too bad and a little goes a long way. I use it to perk up the flavour of strawberries, especially if they are not quite ripe. Pretty pricey at $10.00 per bottle!

Just my two cents...
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-01, 08:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi to Lesley, and welcome Tamara! ..

On the subject of baking mixes and other prepared foods ... I agree with Karen, that REAL whole food is always the best choice, no matter if you are eating lowcarb or highcarb. Many of the bisquik and other highcarb processed "just add water" mixes were a big disappointment in the taste and texture department, very chemically, too much salt, etc .... And the price at least double of what would cost to make your own from scratch. Of course, a ready-mix is convenient and fast.... so on that note, check out our member's Recipes webpage, on the red menu bar at the top every page. If you check out the Breads & Pastas, you'll find some recipes for making your own homemade "Atkins-like" bake mix ... and you'll know it's fresh and no chemicals in it (personally I think that's part of the commercial mix's problem - Who knows how many months it sat on the store shelf - or mail-order warehouse floor - before you bought it?? .. .. Also, there's recipes for lowcarb breads, muffins, pancakes and the like. Look in the Breakfasts section too.

As with everything though, these recipe treats are not zero carb or "free" foods. You need to pay attention to the serving size, especially if you're carb budget is only 20 or 30 grams per day. Indulging in cakes and bread and muffins every single day, even if lowcarb, can and will be a staller if you're eating these things instead of your veggies and salads. (personal experience .. )

Doreen