Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 21:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177.8/170.8/122.1
BF:
Progress: 13%
Thumbs down diarreah

hey there!
I dont know how u actually spell diarreah but this will have to do! lol

Im on my thrid week of Induction. When I first started, I had really bad diarreah. I put this down to my body getting used to the change. But I still experience it even on my third week.! I dont take psyllium husks or anything like that. Is it likely to be due to the fibre I eat? (typical menu may include broccoli, lots of lettuce, cauliflower, about 4-5 ounces of cheese). Will it stop? Just curious what experiences others have had? Thanks

Sorry its a gross subject!

Carly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 22:05
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hiya Carly!

It's a funny thing with low carbing - some people get constipated and others get diarrhoea (doesn't matter how you spell it - we knew what you meant! ;p ). I've had both!

The other funny thing is that the trusty psyllium husks fix both. They work to add bulk to the stool and basically get "everything" back to normal. Pretty cheap, too. You'll find 'em at supermarkets, health food stores and chemists(where I bought mine, only to realsie that was the dearest option ).

The dose is a tablespoon daily mixed into a full glass of water. The taste is, um, not good. I have found that mixing a splash of Diet Cran Drink into the water helps the taste enormously.

Well done on losing 7 pounds already!

Cheers!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 04:25

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hiya Carly!

When I've had that problem (however you spell it) I find that live kefir works for me. If you can't get that then live yogurt might have the same effect.

I've just had a look at the psyllium husks I've got and they also contain a bacteria culture so maybe that's why, as Rosebud so rightly says, they work both ways.

Good luck,

Robert
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 07:18

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quite a few of us have had/have this problem. The good news is that it is able to be overcome! Take a look at this thread for a lot of great information:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...1882#post591882
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 18:58

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Diarrhea - the 'other side effect' of LCing.
I've had it for most of the 4 years I've been on LC. So I take one psyllium capsule every morning and all is normal. SUCH RELIEF! To begin, I took one capsule morning and evening for 3 days, then cut back to one in the AM.

You WILL be very happy.