Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 04:56

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default 'Let people eat what they want'

A campaigning group has been set up to defend people's right to eat whatever they like - even if it is unhealthy - after a government think tank proposed additional taxation on fatty foods and dairy products.

You can read the article in full here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2325819.stm

Anthony Worral Thompson, who is featured in this article, is a celebrity chef in the UK who has begun to extol the virtues of low carbing after being diagnosed with Syndrome X. He is planning to bring out his own 'Dieting for Life' book next year.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 08:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/178/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Oh my God, I'll starve!

I think this is completely out of line - this is certainly something worth fighting for. No one is going to tell me what I eat except ME!

Dawn (who is incensed)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 11:42

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard.

A better solution would be to regulate fast food and junk food companies. Disallow advertising aimed at children and forbid the sale of junk food in schools.

Then they could tax those same companies and use the money for school lunch programs and funding of research on the obesity epidemic.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 12:09
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Next thing you know the "fat police" will be arresting us all regardless of where we live. Where are they going to put us all and what are they going to do with our confiscated black market butter?!

What really gets me is this "scientific think tank" is on the government payroll. I, for one, think the government should be making better use of their tax revenue. With all the trouble in the world today, how can any government justify wasting valuable tax revenue on this kind of frivolous crap?
asugar
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 18:50
Registered Member

Plan: Little of everything
Stats: 293/247/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

A quote from Mr.Clark

Quote:
"Certain American companies are monitoring what their employees eat at lunch, and if they eat too much of the wrong type of food they get a call in the afternoon from the company doctor, they get a lecture, and maybe are even threatened with dismissal if they go on eating that type of food."

All I can say is "Yeah right". Sounds like an American company would be setting itself up for a major lawsuit.

Why won't Mr.Clark name the companies? I like his maybe threatened with dismissal comment. I give him the spinmaster grandmaster award.