Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 20:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 289/277/155
BF:
Progress: 9%
Smile How much water do you drink per day??

Hi there everyone I was just wondering I know most of you have already lost quite a bit of weight! I'd love to know how much water you drink each day??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 22:26

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%
Smile

i drink at least 4 liters (20 cups) per day, sometimes more. the first 5 cups are as soon as i get up in the morning and then i carry bottled water with me the rest of the day. it is amazing how thirsty you get when you drink alot of water. i have 2 cups of decaf,no soda pop just plain water.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 00:06
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Smile Water water and THEN MORE Water!

Nancy, I drink at LEAST, a gallon of water a day, that is my commitment to myself, and then I drink even more water... I bet there are days that I drink 2 gallons of water... I do not really keep track after I drink the first gallon. So now you know~ I don't really drink many beverages besides water at this time because I don't mind my water at all, as long as it is ice cold... altho tonight I am enjoying a diet vanilla coke... a treat for me, for today makes 3 weeks on induction, and when I seen that they had diet vanilla coke today at the store, I thought that one would be a nice evening's imbiding. (p.s. I don't drink diet sodas with nutrasweet too often,and this is my 2nd time since I started Sept. 20th.)(p.s.s. and I know food/drink as a treat is not the best idea,but I couldn't resist the diet vanilla coke, cuz I LOVED the regular one! :yum
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 07:18
Registered Member

BF:

Diet Vanilla Coke!! OH MMMmmmmmmmm sounds heavenly... I've never saw any in our local stores....(can't have right now I'm doing only water now, but oh the thought of it..LOL) My goal is a gallon a day and see where it goes from there.....Its really quite easy you stay thirsty on this diet...Thanks for everyones quick response!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 08:01
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

None.......I really think this drink water stuff is left over from restrictive calorie diets when you had to drink lots of liquid to feel like you weren't starving

If you are new here, there are two groups that try to exert more control over YOUR diet than you can imagine....the "drink insane amounts of water" & "you must eat more calories" people. You can ask ANY question, and you'll get both groups to chime in with the same answer.

The point is that it's YOUR diet. If you can live better on it (and believe me, its hard at first) drinking diet cokes instead of water, or eating the "forbidden" foods like cheese and nuts, try it.

Trust me, there's nothing worse than going real strict on this diet and falling off the wagon two weeks later. I know, because I failed at least a dozen times before I stopped listening to others and heard MY body instead.

Good Luck
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 09:50
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

While it's true each lc diet needs to be tailored/turned to your own body's needs/chemistry. I believe every living thing needs water to survive. There is a calculation somewhere of how much water a body needs based on body weight and activity level. I drink at least 3 liters a day, 96 oz and often more. I try to conciously drink more. While I can have a couple of sugar free drinks a day, I must take them with meals. If I drink anymore or drink them without meals, I get sugar cravings and my weight loss stalls.

I used to date a guy from Saudi. He told me that they used to find people dead in the desert all the time with no water. LOL, the ironic thing is they all had loads of cokes and sf sodas with them that they had been drinking and still died of dehydration. From that I learned that nothing is the same as water!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 09:58
Registered Member

Post Unique to the Individual

Quote:
If you are new here, there are two groups that try to exert more control over YOUR diet than you can imagine....the "drink insane amounts of water" & "you must eat more calories" people. You can ask ANY question, and you'll get both groups to chime in with the same answer.

I am sharing what I DRINK.... not advocating that any should drink the same amounts as me. If you look at the guidelines to the majority of LC diets, they all say to drink at least 64 oz. of water a day. I have found, in MY personal experience, that the more water I drink, the faster I lose also...but that is MY body...and what works for me might not be the same results for someone else. I use to work for Culligan water, and it was suggested on a fact sheet,that a person drink 1/2 oz of water for every pound they weigh... And besides the title of this thread is
HOW MUCH WATER DO *YOU* DRINK PER DAY? Not how much water should you drink a day, or how much your diet SAYS you should drink a day... And as far as Atkins goes... there is a REASON why there are only certain foods on induction, and if a person wants the results, then the more successfully they are able to follow the induction plan as laid out by Dr. Atkins, the faster they will see results. Shark01, yes you are right, that the diet a person is on, has to be something that the person can live with.... and yes, ppl do make alterrations to the diets as set forth in the original diet plans.... but some of the plans are that way for a specific reason... And as far as not eating enough calories,... a person's body can and often does go into starvation mode if a certain calorie level intake is not maintained. There are several factors that determine how severe the reaction to this, including prior diets,activity levels,and IMHO, I believe that women are more susceptible to this than men are. Our bodies are set up to carry more fat in preparation for childbearing, and reluctantly lets go of the fat... but this is ALL MY TWO CENTS WORTH, and a person can take it or leave it!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Re: Unique to the Individual

Quote:
Originally posted by suze_c
I am sharing what I DRINK.... not advocating that any should drink the same amounts as me.

That's right, but there are that group that pound on you to drink endless amounts of water I want people to think for themselves, its THEIR diet after all, and my opinion is just as valid as yours

The Culligan thing is funny, you don't think they recommend drinking so much water because they SELL IT do you

Now, if YOU read the book, you'll discover that there is no certain amount of calories advocated, in fact he says NOT to pay attention to it.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 11:01
Registered Member

BF:

Opps I didn't mean to cause such a heated debate!! I know all of you have had such great sucess with your ways I was just wanting a little insight....Thanks for everyones!!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 13:17
Registered Member

Exclamation Uhmmm I didn't say that

Quote:
Now, if YOU read the book, you'll discover that there is no certain amount of calories advocated, in fact he says NOT to pay attention to it.
*I* HAVE read the book, and many other LC books as well... AND not only LC plans, but more diet plan books than most people read, in my search to find a diet that works for me, and I can feel comfortable with. I believe what I said was:

Quote:
And as far as not eating enough calories,... a person's body can and often does go into starvation mode if a certain calorie level intake is not maintained.
I was NOT speaking especially in regards to Atkins or what he says on the amount of calories consumed. I was speaking about calories in general, and how the body can react to not taking in enough calories. This may not be the case with everyone, HOWEVER as stated, it is influenced by MANY factors!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 13:43
Registered Member

Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default My two cents

Well I've always tried to let my thirst guide me. And I do drink water. However I haven't ever force fed myself water. I know that I have problems with de-hydration and I truly believe that for the most part I don't drink enough water.

That said, I've known people on line who always advocated "drink your water" who have lost weight WAY faster than I have. I think there is merit in the idea of drinking more water. Personally I find it hard to do, but I read an article the other day on the benefits of drinking water that I would like to share with you, it says some things (particularly about the liver and the kidneys) that I thought was a valid point. Here it is:

http://www.janatrains.com/default.a...il&articleid=40

Read it, it might change your mind.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 15:20
Registered Member

Post Thx Sherry plus more h2o info

sherry, that was a GREAT and very informative article... thanks!! It backs up some of what has been said, plus some new information. Here are some links for other info about this vital nutrient...water:

Hydration Fact Sheet

Basic Water Requirements
And just so BOTH sides are represented on this post, here is an article about the "myths" of recommended water recommendations.Recommended Water Intake A Myth
Personally, and I am speaking from personal experience here, I have found out that the more water I drink, the faster I lose inches and weight. Altho this go-around I am not weighing myself regularly, I have done other LC diets, even stricter than Atkins Induction, and it was true in that case; the more water intake, the more I lost. Experiment with drinking water... if you are not losing, and not drinking a lot of water...just try drinking more and see if this helps out. Like I said before, I am not advocating that any do as I do, just sharing my experiences.And that is another two cents worth input on this thread (edited cuz the links weren't working )

Last edited by suze_c : Sat, Oct-12-02 at 15:29.