Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 21:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/120/110 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:Dunno
Progress: 0%
Default Help! Help! What am I doing wrong?

My boyfriend and I both started induction last Friday. As of today, he has lost about 5lbs while I gained 2lbs. I can't believe this is happening. I'm OK with the drag, but the gain is an absolute no no. What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Typical daily menu:
Breakfast - Egg white + 2 Jimmy Dean Mini Sausages

Lunch - 10 oz chicken breast + 1 cup romaine lettuce + 1 tbl spn of LC dressing (ceasar dressing with < 3 carb per tbl spn> + a few slices of cucumber.
Snack - Pine nuts or sugar-free jello

Dinner - 8 oz grilled steak with few drops of tobasco sauce + grille bellpeppers (approx. 1 cup).

Yesterday, I even started excersing. I did about 40 minutes of Sculp Step and 20 minutes Kwando.

Please help.....I am so so ready to giving up giving the progress that my boyfriend is making. Perhaps, I'm not a candidate for LC diet.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 22:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi Mocha!

Well, the first thing you did right is to post your food so that people can point out where you may be going wrong. That is always a good idea in the beginning. Starting a daily journal has proven very helpful to many here, I would strongly advise it.

I took a look at your menu and you need to stick to only the allowed foods as listed in the book. Many processed foods that you think are legal may have added fillers or sodium that can hinder weight loss or cause water retention.

For example, be careful of sausages, they contain fillers. Some are ok, but others tend to affect some people.

Make sure that you are always reading the labels to find carb content, don't just go by sugar free.

Feel free to eat the entire egg if you'd like, as the yolk is ok too, and adds flavor.

Salad dressings on induction should have no more than 1g carbs per tbsp...not that 3 is that bad, but every little bit counts.

Drink lots of water, as this helps with flushing out retained water and will encourage your fat cells to let go of their stored fluids.

I've never had pine nuts myself, but nuts of any kind are not allowed on induction. Some people find that nuts cause them to stall too, so keep this in mind.

The artificial sweetener in the jello may be causing an insulin reaction in your body.

We are all individuals, so different things affect different people. It's a little bit of trial and error to see what works for you. Remember too that men tend to lose weight at a greater rate than women, so don't get too discouraged.

Take measurements! Do not rely on the scale as it can deceive you. Many of us use the pant-o-meter to judge our progress. Find that pair of pants that you want to get into and judge your progress that way. If you are exercising regularly your weight may stay the same while you firm up gaining muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Try going to fitday.com and entering the food that you eat. You can track your carb counts there as well as your calories burned from exercise.

Hang in there, sometimes it just takes a little tweaking to get things right.

All the best,

KC
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 00:25

Stats: 187.5/182.0/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

For salad dressing you might try a simple homemade oil and vinegar. I mix up 3 TBS olive oil, 2 tsp vinegar, and a little Italian seasoning and salt for my daily salad. It is practically carb free and tastes better than anything in a bottle IMHO.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 02:32
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Mocha,

Slimchance and Marie have given you some excellent advice.

I'd just like to make the point that for this WOE to be successful, you really need to make the commitment to eat this way for life.
Bear in mind, that as you don't have a huge amount to lose (compared to some of us ), it may seem to happen more slowly than you'd like.

Just remember too that you are now improving your health.

LC is a great way to eat - just enjoy the food and eventually your excess weight will go.

All the best to you!

Rosebud