Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 13:23
Registered Member

Plan: combination
Stats: 315/263/200
BF:>50?/39/25
Progress: 45%
Default body fat percent calculator

A little bit of information

This site gives two options for males and three for females for calculation of body fat.

I liked the third option for females; it included neck, height, wrist, hips, forearms and weight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 21:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/170/135
BF:
Progress: 20%
Cool Kewl!

Ooh thank you Slim Gym, this puts my BF% at 30.5 (which I think maybe a bit low, I've tried a few calculators today, this is the lowest, the highest made me sound like Miss Blobby 60% or so! Nah!). I LIKE this site!

#3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 08:33

Plan: CAD
Stats: 249.5/217/184
BF:45.2/36.8/25
Progress: 50%

I tried the site too, and it told me that my BF % is 23.5, and no matter how much I WANT that to be true, its about 9% low from everything else I've used to calculate my BF, including my ecocardiogram last summer.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 13:51
Registered Member

Plan: combination
Stats: 315/263/200
BF:>50?/39/25
Progress: 45%

Ivory, I am curious to know about determining bodyfat percent from your echocardiogram.

As far as the calculator found at the above site, I feel that it is the most accurate for me because it incorporates alot of facts, expecially height, being that I am taller than the average female (6 feet). Also, the other online calculators seemed to return a figure that was too low for my body fat percentage.

As of August 10th, I have decided to stick with this one from now on. The important thing is to pick one and stick with it, that way you may see the true trend of your loss versus focusing on a precise number. The calucation of percent body fat is more of an art and less of a science, IMHO, since it may be influenced by many varialbles - depending on your method of choice (time of day, degree of hydration, ect).

I have worked hard to build the muscle mass that I have and when the scales start to move again I would like keep it focused on fat loss versus lean muscle mass .

Thanks for the imput!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 16:24

Plan: CAD
Stats: 249.5/217/184
BF:45.2/36.8/25
Progress: 50%

I joined a gym last summer and the echocardiogram was mandatory when you joined. Anyway it gave me a full report about my lean muscle mass and fat composition. It said I was 137.38lbs muscle mass(shocking to me!) and I was 251.5lbs at the time, so I had 45.2% BF.

I am going by the body fat calculator at self.com because when I fed in my info from when I had my test done, it gave my about the same result as my echocardiogram.

I think any of them are fine, as long as you use the same one, it'll accuratly show you how your BF is dropping.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 19:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%

I'm new to this body-fat measurement thing. Which of the men's calculators is supposed to be best? Are these really accurate? They say I have either 19.7 or 17.5 percent. What's a good percentage for a 5'7" male?

Thanks all.

Sheldon
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 19:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/155/150
BF:
Progress:
Default try this

#8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 06:17