Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 23:12

Plan: paleolithic
Stats: 170/155/160
BF:
Progress: 150%
Default what's with "eat right 4 your blood type"?

I've been on the LC diet for about 3 months now and doing well.
One omy my friends told me that it works for me because I'm blood type O, but that it won't for here because she's blood type A. Apparently this is from the afore mentioned book. Anyone know what the deal is with that?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 01:08
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/low carb
Stats: 198/190/190
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've heard some about this book as well. From what I hear it makes sense. Something I want to look into. Does anyone know more about this?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 08:00

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 181/157/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Eat right for your type is based on how your body reacts to certain foods, with the belief that there is commonality among blood types. It's pretty much right-on for me, type O. My daughter, type A, also seems to fit the profile (more vegies, less meat).

He bases his research on lectins, and that when certain blood types eat certain foods they produce harmful lectins. I'm not going to be able to elaborate on that, sorry. He has many faithful followers, and as I said, his recommendations were accurate for me. While I don't lose weight following his plan, I feel MUCH better.

He (Dr. D'Adamo) has a web site/forum that is very active. I don't remember what the address is, but if you search for his name or Eat Right For Your Type, you'll find it.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 08:50

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: what's with "eat right 4 your blood type"?

Quote:
Originally posted by hugo
One omy my friends told me that it works for me because I'm blood type O, but that it won't for here because she's blood type A. Apparently this is from the afore mentioned book. Anyone know what the deal is with that?

Well, as Blood Type A I am supposed to be a vegetarian

From the HealthCare Reality Check By Tim Gorski, MD:
Quote:
Could someone get away with claiming that your blood type determines what you should be eating and how you should be exercising in order to be healthy? Sadly, "Naturopathic physician" Peter J. D'Adamo has written a book that asserts exactly that. Such is the craze for "secrets" of good health that physicians "don't want their patients to know" that such an absurd idea can not only gain an audience but that the book in question, Eat Right 4 Your Type, is a February alternate selection for the Book-of-the-Month Club. And if he can succeed with this awesome nonsense, "Dr." D'Adamo can get to work on sequels that might explain how people can "eat right" for their Rh factors and the rest of their red cell antigens, not to mention their HLA types, hemoglobin electrophoresis profiles, and maybe even their genotypes and the residual vibrations of their ancestors' genotypes even if they didn't get them by heredity!

The sober conclusion to be drawn, though, is that many people remain woefully uninformed about the most elementary facts relating to their lives and health. People who would scoff at a proposal that a car's paint color determines what sort of gasoline or oil should be used for the vehicle or that a home's exterior brickwork determines how the furniture inside should be arranged are nevertheless apparently willing to consider this particular delusion.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 10:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

I haven't read the book, but maybe I'll get it out of the library just for the heck of it. It seems fishy to me. Too much "placebo effect" factor.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 10:33

BF:
Default Let me know...

if you do read the book. What I found interesting was that some foods I would eat that just didn't set well in my stomach (besides the obvious ones like wheat) ended up being on his list of 'avoids' for my blood type. ei cashews. they are ok on a low-carb diet but I still don't eat them because they upset my stomach. If I could go back, I would make a list of those types of foods, THEN read the book to see if there was any merit to it. (or maybe you don't have any foods that make you feel unwell, or tired, etc) The placebo effect comes in to play with most everything, I think, and recent studies are showing that. Our sub-conscious is more involved than we think!

Also, while separating groups by blood type may be too broad, at least he is looking at the fact that everyone is different and everyone reacts differently to our environment, including the food we eat. In other words, one size does not fit all. I'm sure it's WAY more involved than the 4 blood types, but I saw it as a starting place, to be tweaked by my own experience.

I don't pay much attention to MD's slamming other MD's, I made that mistake with Dr. Atkins. I can make up my own mind by my own experience. What works for some will not work for others. We all have to find our own healthy path, which takes lots of studying, an open mind and patience! IMHO.

Good luck in your quest!

Amy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 11:34

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default I'm A+

And I haven't read the book. But I have heard that I should be a vegetarian. Well, I tried that and gained weight and didn't feel good and always wanted meat.

No I'm an omnivore and eat a lot of meat and feel great! The big things I don't eat anymore are wheat, potatoes, rice and sugar. I don't miss them and I have lost over 10% of my body weight and expect to continue on down to my optimum configuration, whatever that works out to be.

I think what upsets me about this, and the reason I won't read the book, is that I already know that what he suggests for my blood type is wrong for me!

;-Deb
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 13:22

BF:
Default I know what you're saying, Deb...

I know a lady who recommended the book to me a long time ago. She didn't know hers or her hubby's blood type, but was convinced she was A, he an O, because they 'fit' the profiles. His was correct, but she was an O too, and she was very upset because she was mostly a vegan and there was noooo way she was going to start following the meat-eating O plan! So there are definitely some way-wrong scenarios.

Hugo, I was just reading The Paleo Diet by Cordain, if you have it, on pg 91 (in my book anyway) the section on Lectins and Autoimmune Disease in chapter 6 briefly goes into the info that D'Adamo is using to base his plan on. As you can see, it isn't for everyone, but his forum contains as many people vehemently defensive of the ER4YT plan as there are people here defending the low-carb way. Many people there have had nasty health problems resolved by following his guidelines. To each his own!

Amy