Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 08:49
Registered Member

Plan: Lazy Atkins
Stats: 130/115/110
BF:25%
Progress: 75%
Default "Better" breads?

I ordered a few of these this week to test drive. Anyone have any experience with the "Better Baker" breads?

There are alot of products on Synergy by this group... breads, brownies, bread crumbs, donuts, crutons...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 07:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/210/195
BF:
Progress: 52%

I've seen and been tempted by those products also and am curious to see what you here about them.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 21:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

We await your reviews with great anticipation! (by the way, did you check to see if there were any reviews here already)?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 08:18
Registered Member

Plan: Lazy Atkins
Stats: 130/115/110
BF:25%
Progress: 75%

I didn't see any in my general reading (reviews for any of the "better" products)

BUT!

I got my order in this past friday...

Better French (round) loaf ($5.99)
Serv. Size 1 slice
Total Carb 6g
Fiber 1.5g

It looked more like a wheat than a traditional french loaf. Taste was wonderful. Not spongy like some of the low carb breads. I buttered and sprinkled on some garlic -- warmed it in the oven. Very good. The loaf was kinda small though and I really would have rather had an un-sliced loaf since this was a "round". Carb count is a little higher than some other low carb breads, but taste & texture show the difference!

Better Bagels (Plain) $5.99 6-bagels
Serv. Size 1/2 bagel
Total Carb 9.8g
Fiber 2.35g

These really were more like "toast" than anything else. No chewyness. I was disappointed really after having the french bread. I expected more out of these. There serving is small for that many carbs I thought.

They were not bad -- But for the price and carb count per serving... These bagels are basically 15 carbs (fiber removed) per whole bagel. Lenders frozen bagels are only 20-22 carbs per whole bagel or something like that.

On Lenders bagels: I don't have the exact numbers on lenders, but they seemed really close on the frozen bagged kind. The others of the Lenders line were higher though (and larger).
Be sure to check between types/flavors of the same maker because they make them in different sizes by weight per serving!

I have a few others to try still (Ready to eat pizza crusts, Cinnamon Raisin Bread, muffins)

Over all... from the sizes of the portions - I was disappointed. I think they were a little too expensive for the loaf size. But the taste/texture on their breads were good. So I have mixed feelings!