Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 13:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179/174.5/140
BF:26%
Progress: 12%
Talking weight training

Does anyone out there do heavy weight trainng?

I am on day one of induction and wondering how this way of life well affect (effect? grammer is not my strong point!) my workouts. I currently lift heavy to make gains in the gym!

thanks!
suz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 13:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210+/188/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hello suz =)

Just from my personal experience I would say that the only way it will affect you is that during the first week or 2 most people generally do not have as much energy. Actually a lack there of. So if you don't have the energy I'd put off the weight training until you do. I waited 2 months into this WOL before I started weight training/cardio. I'd say that if you have energy, continue as you normally would. Otherwise as far as I know there is no physical impact on muscles gain/loss. =)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 13:35

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

suz, if you check out the General Exercise board and the BFL and CKD boards you'll see that many of us do lift, and lift heavy.

It is a good idea when you start LCing that you take a break from exercise for the first 2 weeks. Intense exercise requires more carbs than 20g a day and your body requires a time-out to adapt to burning a new type of fuel.

My advice is to follow Induction as written and then to move into OWL, increasing carbs as you head back to the gym. You'll be able to guage what levels is best for you (carb-wize) by how you feel. Insufficient carbs when exercising intensely leads to that 'blah', fatigued feeling commonly referred to as "bonking".

HTH
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 14:09

Stats: 179/174.5/140
BF:26%
Progress: 12%

Thanks for the info..... So far i feel great today, i will try working out tonight and see how i feel!

suz
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 06:29

Plan: my own research
Stats: 260/168/160
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 92%

Suz, I hate missing my weight training time. When I started low carbing I was so excited to lose weight that the induction phase didn't bother me. If you have the energy in MY opinion GO for it! If you don't then don't...be your own judge of how you feel...It's your body and you know it better then anyone. OPINION ...Good luck and hang in there...from one heavy lifter to another...
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 13:54

Stats: 252/242/200
BF:
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
You'll be able to guage what levels is best for you (carb-wize) by how you feel. Insufficient carbs when exercising intensely leads to that 'blah', fatigued feeling commonly referred to as "bonking".

HTH
Nat

I am from the UK originally and we have an entirely different kind of bonking over there! Luckily there is no blah feeling that accompanies it :-)
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 19:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
I am from the UK originally and we have an entirely different kind of bonking over there! Luckily there is no blah feeling that accompanies it :-)

Well, that may depend on any other... uh... involved parties...

I'm about a month and a half into the program and am just *now* getting my energy back. I was doing cardio almost every day for 30 minutes before that. Although, I have to admit that the past two weeks I can probably write down as laziness rather than tiredness!

Just keep monitoring your body and keep the water levels up. Do what feels best for you.