Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 01:44

Plan: Dr atkins//Induction
Stats: 142/137/120
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Atkins Bake Mix

I am recently new to The Atkins diet.
I notice in the book regarding recipes they call for Atkins Bake Mix.
I have been to pretty much all the health stores in Chilliwack B.C(The town is very small) And can not find any can I use soy flour as a substitute?..
Also I can not find Thick N thin/not starch is there a substitute for this?Or can you refer me to a store in the Lower Manland(British Columbia Canada) which carrys these types of products?
Dawn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 07:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Dawn,

We use soy flour instead of the Atkins bake mix - works well!

Sorry, don't know of a thick n' thin substitute (I don't use that one) but I am sure someone will come along shortly!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 21:40

BF:
Wink

Thank-You for replying i"ll try that ..
Thank-You.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 22:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Hi, Impulsof, and welcome to our website.

You being so new and all, probably haven't gotten around to looking about.

Your post, here in the Products Forum, probably won't get you as many answers as you might like. There is good information in the LowCarb Kitchen Forum about substituting for Atkins Bake Mix, and even recipes for making your own 'faux bake mix'. Mostly Atkins Bake Mix (or any other Low Carb products) is found in Health Food Stores.

There is good information about finding sources for products, including the Expert Foods ThickenThin (not/Starch, not/Sugar, etc.) in the LowCarb Yellow Pages (see the Quick Link on the upper right of your screen?) ... though mostly you can't get that in stores much, YET, in Canada. Though you CAN get the Expert Foods products through my website, which has been up and running for 2 years now to provide Canadians with access to top quality LC products. See the logo below? It's a link to the website.

You might want to experiment with the SEARCH feature as well -- see the little globe up there on the top right of the screen. There is so much good stuff in the forums, it's worth getting familiar with how to use them.

You may want to spend some time familiarizing yourself with all the different KINDS of useful forums we have here. There's a lot of Canadians here and a lot of information that's already been asked and answered.

Meanwhile, I'll be moving this post of yours to the LowCarb Canada forum, where you have the best chance of getting some good local information and support.

Signed: Products Forum Moderator (and fellow Canadian).

Last edited by IslandGirl : Mon, Nov-18-02 at 22:22.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 21:30

Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

Hi... I'm out here in the WACK too and found that if you do a bit of digging you can find low carbs items..... the Atkins flour, bake mixes etcc was selling at GNC (expensive) as well as the Vitamin discount store on Yale rd. Don't know if they still carry it as I have never purchased his products after trying his shake mix and bars ( yuck!... only my opinion). Costco in Abbotsford has yummy shake mix made in Maple Ridge ( local stuff!!). Superstore also carries low carb stuff ( just need to know which isals to look in as the store is quite scattered). If you need to know where to get some items "around town" I'd be glad to help!! Good Luck!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 00:50

BF:

Thank you replying.low carb jo
LMAO I work at the superstore as a cashier I know thw mess there
Have you ever heard of the low carb baker? I am wondering because I am interested in ordering some products from them.
I found today at Walmart in the pharmacy and diet isle sugar less syrup made with splenda and chocolate sauce( Im gonna mix with my horrible protein shake Jamieson) sweetened with Splenda
Do you know the name brand of shake mix? Ive yet to find a good tasting shake that aint high in carbs?
Do you know is sorbitol a alcohol sweetner? If you do know and it is an alchol sweetner is it allowed on atkins?
Hope to hear back from you
Dawn
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 18:07

Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

Hi Dawn... I've heard of the low carb baker but have not ordered nor do I know anyone who has. Actually I've found some fantastick BREAD.... yes I said Bread that ( in moderation) I can eat without wrecking the diet. It's Silver Hills Sprouted grain Flax bread... sells at Save On Foods but I bought it at Costco... better deal. Carbs = 16.4grams per slice minus the dietary fiber (4.6 grms) which is only 11.8 grams of carbs per slice... of heaven. I don't usually make a sandwich per say.... I'll toast one piece and stack stuff on it 1 or 2 x a week. As for the yummy shakes I have at breakfast the brand from Costco is R & L Health Whey Protein Natural Source ( vanilla only flavor). 1 kg canister. Sweetened with Splenda. only 2 grams carbs per shake. I mix the powder with some cream, scoop of plain yogurt and a hand full of assorted frozen berries in the blender. YUMMY !!! If you can't get to Costco the brand I did use for a long time was Nu-Life To Diet For brand shake mix ( 600g )... 1 gram per scoop. 3 flavors ( Van, Choc and Strawb.) selling at Super Store EXCEPT...... last I checked they only had the Strawberry and what used to cost 20.00$$ a can is now $30.00 for the same sized can!!! The Choc. and Van is yummy... never tried the strawberry. Hope this helps! Joanne.