Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 15:07
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%
Default Homemade powdered "sugar"

I'm trying to de-carb my mom's traditional holiday white-chocolate cheesecake, which has a crust made of crumbled dark chocolate wafer cookies, a traditional cheesecake filling with white chocolate, and a shell of melted chocolate chips mixed with powdered sugar. The chocolate's easy enough, and I've ordered some chocolate Keto Biscotti for the crust, but I'm not sure what to do about the powdered sugar for the shell. The procedure is to melt the chocolate chips, stir in the powdered sugar, pour over the cake, and then cool until it forms a hard shell, which is almost like the "magic shell" chocolate stuff you can put on ice cream.

I'm afraid regular Splenda will make it grainy, since I've had problems with that when making other melted chocolate things (perhaps it's the maltodextrose?). I also don't want to buy the Steel's Powdered Sugar substitute if I can make a substitute. I googled a bit and found that you can make your own powdered sugar in a food processor from 1 c. regular granulated sugar and 1/4 c. cornstarch. Will Splenda and ThickenThin behave roughly the same, and should I use roughly the same quantities of each?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 17:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dissolve the Splenda in some warm whipping cream before adding it to the chocolate.

Karen