Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 17:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/222/155
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question modified Atkins?

Hi low-carb friends!

I am very new to this LC thing. I started Atkins a couple of weeks ago, but only got through a few days of Induction and did not feel well...absolutely no energy. I know this is supposed to be normal and go away eventually. HOwever, I was planning a long bike ride (60 miles) and wasn't sure if I could make it. So I started adding a few carbs. I got through that ride fine. But yesterday I went on a longer ride with a difficult hill climb and I felt like my legs had no staying power. I had to walk a lot of the hill. That is a first for me. I am very active (cycle 30-50 miles, 3-4 times per week) and don't want my favorite exercise to be compromised.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 18:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The best advice is to follow the recommendation in the book and take 2 weeks off from exercising while you're body adapts to burning a different source of fuel.

You do not have to give up exercise - but you do need to allow your body to adapt. Two weeks tends to do it for most of us. Use this time to learn about your plan and to get through that 'icky' phase. Be sure you're eating enough, drinking enough water and taking the recommended supplements (esp. potassium in this heat).

Then ease back into exercise. It will take a little while to build back up to your pre-LC intensity level, but you'll get there - with energy to spare. You'll also have to increase carbs a little from Induction levels. <20g a day is not sufficient for intense exercise (again, this is covered in the book). During your two week vacation from exercise looking through DANDR for information on how to proceed to OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss) would be a good idea - you'll have all the information needed to increase carbs and be ready to get back at the biking.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 09:38

BF:
Default thanks

Thanks for the suggestion.

To be honest, however, I have put so much into getting where I am in terms of fitness that I am really reluctant to stop for 2 weeks. I am looking at other options. But I will keep this in mind should I choose to try the induction phase again.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 10:34
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 293/281.5/160
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Fitness

I just wanted to mention that my sister is doing Atkins and like you she is VERY active. In the Adkins book it does state that if you are already doing an excercie program, you should not stop. She didn't and had a really tough first week, but by the second week ~ she said she was back to her old self. Maybe you could try to slow down a little for the really bad days.

I only walk for excercise and I did not give it up either and I felt fine ~ except for a couple of icky days.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 12:07

BF:
Default Fitness & Atkins

Thanks! Maybe I'll try it again.