Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 18:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 141/130/115
BF:28%/27%/25%
Progress: 42%
Default Losing my Appetite

I am in day 11 on induction and I had a hard time today making myself eat at all. I started out with breakfast four pieces of bacon and 2 scrambled eggs, and all I could eat was the bacon and a bite of the eggs and I could barely eat that much. I usually have lunch at 1 but forced myself to eat it at 3, salmon salad, cucumbers and a hard boiled egg. I'm drinking lots of water.

Should I make myself eat even if I'm not hungry or is it okay to just wait and eat when I feel hungry? Hope someone can help with this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 19:01

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

EZ, I moved your question from the Intro's forum to the Newbies' Questions one - you should get more replies here

I would suggest that yes, you eat regularly scheduled meals, even if they are small ones, throughout the day. It may be easier to eat smaller more frequent meals than 3 large ones simply because they are smaller.

Your body needs fuel throughout the day to burn fat and to keep you alive and healthy - you have to supply that fuel or it will start scavanging your body for sources. The greatest source of much needed amino acids in your body is found in your muscles - losing lean muscle mass is not something you want. If you do not eat, you will not lose.

Suggestion to keep calories up: Use fat! Put butter and mayonnaise on everything. Eat fattier cuts of meat. Keep the skin on the chicken. Get some macadamia nuts and have an ounce or two (high in mono unsaturated fat and low carb and legal once you're out of Induction).

Take heart - the appetite suppressing qualities of LCing do not last forever. You will get hungry again

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 19:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/188.5/135
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi EZ...I am the same exact way! I have been LCing since July 27th and I still literally have to force myself to eat and when I do, I only eat a very tiny bit. My fav's are having 1 hard boiled egg, a ham & cheese roll up(or cream cheese..yummmm), 1/2 of a carb solutions bar (they don't effect me)...small things like that. Sometimes, these are actually meals for me. I also drink about 96-100 oz. H2O a day. That also makes my appetite supressed- water..water..water.. Good Luck!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 21:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 141/130/115
BF:28%/27%/25%
Progress: 42%

Thanx for the advice. I'll try eating more small meals. I do have a tendency not to eat the skin on chicken and eat leaner cuts of meat. It's hard to believe that I can lose weight with more fat. I am losing lbs. so I must be doing something right. Anyway, thanks again. This forum is certainly helpful.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 13:34
Registered Member

Plan: 20-30 grams daily
Stats: 262/192/140
BF:
Progress: 57%

i have a problem with my appetite too lol its gone on this diet
i guess that means what my body needs its getting. i do eat my regular meals though even though i may look up at the clock and it be 2 hours past lunch and i realize i havent eaten. i dont starve like everyone thinks u have to do to lose the weight in fact when me and some girls from work went out the other day i out eat them. they just look bewildered and cant figure it out lol
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 14:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/248/150
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default appetite

I felt no hunger in my first two weeks. Now, with the fine seasoning of a month, I can still say I don't exactly feel hungry. But I am starting to realize that before I started LCing, I was only aware of one symptom for hunger: clues from my stomach, telling me I am empty.

Now, my stomach might be content and sending me no signals but I keep growing in my awareness that other symtoms appear in other parts of my body. I can't quite put it into words yet but I might feel it in my arms or legs. maybe I am not attuned to my level of energy. When I start to think my energy level is slipping, a high fat/low carb snack takes away the 'weird' sensation and I feel tip top. Because of this trial and error, I have learned to eat a more more often through each day.