Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 15:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/148/119
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default kidney problems?

Hi,

This is my third day on Atkins and although I feel fine my back is aching like mad. I think it must be my kidneys but am unsure if it is because of the diet and I am doing something wrong. I am drinking a lot but would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice.

Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 08:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Hazel,

Are you taking you vitamins as recommended by Dr. Atkins? It's important in the first week, as the shift from high-carb to low-carb may deplete some vitamins and minerales and cause muscle ache and fatigue.

If you suspect kidney problems, you might want to check with your doctor.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 08:52
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi hazel,

This concern has come up before Atkins or other carb-restricted diet is not linked to kidney problems, except if you ALREADY HAD bad kidneys to start with, you would need to restrict the protein intake somewhat. High fat diet and ketones are not a cause of kidney disease.

I posted the following note to another member previously
Quote:
originally posted by doreen T

Just a note .. In general, pain from the kidneys is NOT experienced in the low back area. The kidneys reside higher up, and to the sides ... and generally when there is some pathology (infection, a stone, etc .. ) the pain will radiate to the flank area, which is mid- to upper back and to the sides at and above the waist. If you have kidney stones, and one is passed into a ureter, it will cause excruciating pain on the affected side at whatever level the stone has lodged. It's also worth noting that insufficient water intake -- not high protein diet -- is recognized as one of the chief contributors to formation of kidney stones.

Kidney.ca has more information about kidney stones, causes and prevention. Only in cases of gout or high uric acid levels is it suggested to cut back on the intake of red meat. Reduced protein intake is recommended only when the kidneys are chronically diseased and failing; this article explains.

Low-carbing and high fat, higher protein diets, and ketones do not contribute to kidney disease. The advice to drink more water is wise and helpful for all, no matter what diet is followed.
Wa'il is right, you may need to increase your supplements of especially potassium and magnesium. And increase the water intake too.

Another thought ... are you constipated? Pressure from a sluggish bowel can cause low backaches for some people. Again, drink lots of water, make sure you're eating lots of high-fiber low-carb vegetables and olive oil, and getting daily exercise. You may need to take a fiber supplement to keep the intestines regular. If this is a problem for you, check out my article Intestinal Health and Low Carbing, which you'll find by clicking on Low Carb Tips from the orange menu bar near the top of the page.

Good luck to you

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 11:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Another thought ... are you constipated? Pressure from a sluggish bowel can cause low backaches for some people.

I experienced the same pains, the came on and off for about a month - I beleive at the time I was constipated. Since I have been taking a fiber supplement, it hasn't returned.

As the others say though, if you are concerned that this may not be it, a trip to the doctors never hurts.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 14:31

Stats: 148/148/119
BF:
Progress: 0%

thanks very much for the advice. I am taking the vitamins so I think its a trip to the doctor! I wasn't drinking enough before I started the diet so that may well have a lot to do with it!

Thanks again
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 06:43
Registered Member

Stats: 169/162/150
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi Hazel!

I have had some low back ache, and other aches, as of late as well. The last time I had it was when I had gum surgery, and was unable to eat a balanced diet and was not taking any vitamins. My guess is that it is the drastic change in diet, but like everyone else recommends, see your doc just in case. Have you ever tried yoga? Does WONDERS for back problems, as well as digestion. I have started taking supplements myself, as it is so important to do so while on this plan. Hope the aches and pains pass soon, take care!

Natasha