Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 00:36
Pending Member

Plan: mix
Stats: 120/120/110
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Newbie's question - HELP!

I just started adding more exercise (some weights in addition to playing volleyball).

I have a dumb question.

People say it's good to exercise in an empty stomach. At the same time, people say if you are hungry, your body goes into the starvation mode and you cannot lose fat. I'm confused... What's the trick here?

Also, I see a lot of people tracking calories. I have never done that. I used to be on the zone (you count blocks of protein/carb/fat combination, but never calories). I actually didn't lose any weight being on the zone diet although I felt great. (I was hungry a lot probably because the fat ratio is rather low on the zone, so I ended up eating more blocks to keep me filled up.) I could lose weight on Atkins induction (I wasn't exercising much when I did it), but I'm sure I was eating a whole lot more calories than my quota (which is only about 1200 per day even with moderate exercise, accordingly to one website calculation) because I was eating fatty food a lot, like chicken wings and cream cheese. Now, with more exercise, I know I am eating more, much more. Is that bad? Could someone tell me what I need to do with calories?

I have read a lot of technical information on this forum, but some of them are way over my head. I'm sure my questions are kind of stupid, but it would be great if someone could shed some light on this. I ordered Dan's book too, and hopefully, some of my questions will be answered by reading the book, but for now, I would appreciate everyone's input here.

Thank you very much in advance!

Tomo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 00:47
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Not really dumb questions

Exercising on an empty stomach: This generally means to exercise immidiately after waking up, and having a healthy breakfast after the workout. It's not starvation at all, since many wait for an hour or so before eating breakfast. Just make sure you never skip meals and do not under-eat.

Counting calorie: If you are sure that you are eating enough, you don't have to count calories. Some of us count calories just to make sure we are not under-eating, and have enough to sustain a healthy metabolic rate. If you can guesstimate that you are eating enough calories and enough protein, then no counting is required, it's just a good thing to track.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 13:57

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

FYI - On Atkins' Induction, there is no calorie limit. In fact, you don't even count them. You are not supposed eat over 20 grams of CARBS, but fat and protein are unlimited. That 1200 mark - I've only ever heard that figure from websites that are criticizing the diet by saying that it only works due to caloric restriction - which is just patently untrue.

I can be on Atkins Induction and eat 2k cals. Atkins also says that if you are hungry, you should EAT!

Good luck with your program!

Friday
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 14:12
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

I know I can't exercise after meals, it will just make me sick.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 11:30
Pending Member

Plan: mix
Stats: 120/120/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank you everyone for the posts!

I had no idea people were tacking their calories to make sure they were getting enough. (I just assumed they were doing that to restrict it. Now, I know better!)

Also, I get a better picture now of starvation vs. just working out in the morning to burn fat.

Thanks again!

Tomo