Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-24, 08:56

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default Paris Olympics goes meat-free: Good for the planet or good business?

Quote:
Paris Olympics goes meat-free: Good for the planet or good business?

Organisers of the upcoming Paris Olympics have announced 60% of the food served will be meat-free.

The move is in a bid to reduce the event's carbon footprint and will offer more vegetarian cuisine than in any other games.

"Paris 2024's ambition for the games is to use the knowledge and creativity of French cuisine to create more responsible eating habits in stadiums and during sports events," organisers say.

Irish Farmers' Association Limerick branch chair Sean Lavery told Newstalk Breakfast it is a business arrangement rather than a health one.

"I think it's a purely aspirational move by the Paris Olympic Committee," he said.

"They've mandated that 60% of the food provided will be meat-free; but it's really tied in with a commercial arrangement between the Olympics and a company called Garden Gourmet who are a subsidiary of Nestlé.

"The whole meat-free and meat-substitute business is struggling and Nestlé have made a big punt of convincing the organisers to supply meat-free food."

'Disenfranchising choice'

Mr Lavery said he doubts the veracity of the 60% claim for the Paris Olympics.

"In reality only about 4% of the population are vegan or non-meat eaters," he said.

"So they're actually disenfranchising choice for a massive number of competitors at the Olympics".

Happy Food at Home owner Ciara Brennan said something has to change.

"I think there's been enough studies out there, and enough documentaries, to prove that the pollution that is provided by farming with meat products [and] poultry is disgraceful," she said.

"We need to do some change for the better for this Earth."

Ms Brennan said she believes more than 4% of the population is moving towards meat-free diets.

"I believe people are shifting - whether they're shifting 100% or not - they're actually making a conscious effort to improve their health by eating more plants and more fruits," she said.

Mr Lavery said the amount of supermarket space being given over to non-meat products has fallen.

"The number of spacings for vegan food and meat substitutes have actually halved in the last two years," he said.

"The prominent companies doing meat substitutes, like Impossible Foods and all of those, they're all struggling financially.

"Beyond Meat in the first quarter of 2024 have an 18% drop revenue [and] an 16% drop in volume of products sold".

Ms Brennan said the point is about people's health rather than profits.

"It's not about greed; it's actually about moving us forward so that the next generation can actually survive and that they will have an Earth to survive on," she added.

During the two 15-day periods of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, Paris 2024 will serve over 13 million meals.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/paris...usiness-1724644

Quote:
Meat Limited at Paris Olympics

If I were an Olympic athlete, I would be pissed off right now. The motto of the Paris Olympics: more French, more local, less meat. First, the good news, getting more locally produced food is fantastic, and I think it should always be a priority:

Under the Paris 2024 "Food Vision," a quarter of the food supplied to athletes must be produced less than 250 kilometers from the place of competition to reduce carbon emissions from transporting fresh produce. French produce is also prioritized, with a goal of 80% of the food provided being made in France.

However, we see another example of meat being vilified (instead of limiting, they could choose to source from local ranchers). Athletes require a high protein diet for muscle recovery, and Olympic athletes even more. Imagine the unnecessary added stress the athletes have to deal with now trying to figure out how to obtain their protein macros.

Do you think athletic performance will be the same as previous games? We'll soon find out!

https://yes2meat.substack.com/p/mea...-paris-olympics

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-24, 10:44

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Of all the lame-brained...

So only a little over 5 million of the 13 million meals will have any meat at all.

If I read it correctly, at least it doesn't sound strictly vegan, just vegetarian.

I hope they're providing tons of dairy and eggs to compensate for the lack of meat protein for the athletes.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-24, 18:03

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I'm sure the athletes will pack in a lot of whey protein powder.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-24, 08:43

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

How stupid!!!! Athletes need MORE meat not less 😤.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-24, 10:05
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:

Here is the official Paris 2024 Olympics "Food Vision" booklet (pdf) .. https://medias.paris2024.org/upload...N-Eng-BDEF2.pdf

Most of these meat-free options (not necessarily 100% plant based) will be offered to the public outside of the Athletes' Village. Mostly at surrounding cafés, restaurants and kiosks serving non-athlete attendees .. spectators, media, volunteers etc. And maybe athletes who want to celebrate post-competition.

Athletes' nutrition will not be compromised. They will be offered vegetarian meals alongside meat-based meals, but those will be completely optional. Each country's Olympic team has at least one nutritionist on staff, who will ensure their athletes get exactly what they want and need for training, recovery and competition.

Quote:
THE ATHLETES’ VILLAGE, THE LARGEST RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD

The Village is where the athletes will spend much of their time and offers a unique experience. It is where they will eat, sleep, take care of themselves, prepare for competitions, recover and celebrate. In collaboration with Sodexo Live!, the Village’s catering services must, above all, meet the needs of athletes from 208 countries and regions 24/7, all while satisfying the nutritional requirements specific to each sport and aligning with diverse cultural practices. But the Village must also enable everyone, when not competing or training, to discover French cuisine, which many of them will not have an opportunity to try outside of the competition venues. At the other Villages, a similar offer will be available to ensure all the athletes access an equivalent level of service.

< snip >

ATHLETES AND THEIR TEAMS

After years of preparation, 15,000 Olympic and Paralympic athletes will come to the Games, each representing one of 208 countries or regions, with the aim of winning medals and experiencing the exceptional and unique tmosphere of the Athletes’ Village. The athletes will closely study their food intake during their stay, which may last anywhere between 5 and 30 days, eating at least three meals a day. They will be looking to satisfy their specific dietary needs and follow the culinary customs of their countries and cultures while paying attention to nutrition and allergens. We will therefore focus on implementing a reliable, smooth and diverse offering that enables them to perform in the best possible conditions.

It seems much of the hype about Paris 2024 going vegan is just that .. hype, not fact
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-24, 10:57

BF:

At least it's not vegan.

And it's only the audience attendees that will be subjected to 60% meat-free vegetarian food availability.

I wonder how many attendees will go outside the area to get some real French food with real butter and real meat - I mean why would anyone go to Paris... PARIS!!! and decide Yeah sure it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to eat all the wonderful French cuisine, but I think I'll skip eating meat and just eat vegetarian while I'm here.

Last edited by Calianna : Mon, Jun-17-24 at 11:54.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-24, 12:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I wonder how many attendees will go outside the area to get some real French food with real butter and real meat - I mean why would anyone go to Paris... PARIS!!! and decide Yeah sure it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to eat all the wonderful French cuisine, but I think I'll skip eating meat and just eat vegetarian while I'm here.
Exactly!

I've been to Paris many times, and one of the most memorable meals I had was steak tartare when I was fourteen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-24, 07:58

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Lol, that's about the time I first had steak tartare. Maybe it was the thing I the US at that time.

Dr Chaffee often talks about his years playing ball, and compares his performance with carbs and without. Noticeably better recovery and such on meat.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-24, 06:13

BF:

Quote:
Stale bread and no wine: Olympic spectators complain about terrible food

The Paris Games intended to showcase the best of French cuisine but sport fans instead say it resembles the type of food available at American sporting events

Attempts to use the Paris Olympics to promote French cuisine have left spectators with the taste of stale bread, alcohol-free beer and hour-long waits to to be served.

The Games’ organisers had previously outlined their ambition to “use the knowledge and creativity of French cuisine to create more responsible eating habits in stadiums and during sports events”.

But Paris’s proud reputation as gastronomic heaven has become fast-food hell at Olympic venues where ticket holders complain they are being served a menu usually found in American sports stadiums.

Esmee Takens, 21, a student from Groningen in the Netherlands, visited the dressage competition in the grounds of the Château de Versailles, which is renowned for its opulence.

“There is not much on the menu and the prices are high,” she said as temperatures reached 34℃. “I will bring my own food tomorrow. I haven’t found a water tap and it is very hot.

“I did not have a reference to what it would be like, but I thought it would be better than this because it is in France.”

Carey Lucas, 62, a retired restaurateur from Pau in southwest France, said: “I had a vegetarian hot dog, it was good, but you would not get a good meal here.

“This is not the food of France,” she added. “But how can you expect it to be French when there are Coca-Cola signs everywhere”.

Coca-Cola is a sponsor of the games and its brands, including Fanta and Sprite, are available at €5 (£4.20) for a 50cl cup with an additional refundable deposit of €2. A small bottle of water is €3.50.

While hospitality guests can order alcohol, the Games’ organisers admitted they “did not ask for an exemption or special dispensation” to allow wine and beer to be sold to ordinary ticket holders.

A plastic container of alcohol-free lager costs €8 for 40cl, less than three-quarters of a pint.

A chicken and pesto sandwich is €11, with crips and popcorn available at €4. Fries are €7.50 while a quinoa and vegetable salad cost €12. Some venues have a stall selling regional delicacies, including crepes at €6. Ice creams covered with chocolate sauce and dipped in sprinkles also cost €6.

Ulrik Leegaard, 53, is visiting the games with his wife Mariane, 49, and daughter Mai, 21, from Denmark. “I guess the food is alright, it is the sort of food you get in America. It does not seem very French. I don’t think many people will be drinking beer without alcohol.”

Le Figaro, the French newspaper, commented: “With such prices, it is obvious that we are not getting a very good deal. But they are similar to what we can observe in train stations, airports, motorway areas or even amusement parks: consumers being captive on the site, the seller is in a de facto monopoly situation and takes advantage of this to inflate its prices.”

It advised disgruntled visitors: “For those who find the prices too high, it is worth remembering that going to the refreshment bar is not essential.”

There have been complaints about the quality, range and cost across venues. An Italian broadcaster described the coffee as apparently being made with water from the river Seine. The Italian fencing team has taken their own coffee machine into their box at the Grand Palais.

Most venues have huge queues at the refreshment stalls because of temperamental bank card machines and confusion among staff. Under a sponsorship deal, only Visa cards are accepted, which leads to heated arguments at tills.

There were lengthy queues at Roland Garros for tennis on Tuesday. One fan wrote on Twitter: ‘Dreadful … massive queues for food and ran out of food by 1pm. Plus no alcohol. Treating spectators like dirt.”

Brendan O’Hagan and Philip Bickerstaff, 69, who travelled from Lytham St Annes, Lancashire, queued for more than 30 minutes for a drink.

O’Hagan, a retired HR manager, said: “It’s a bit of a shambles really. There is just one guy serving this whole queue —they don’t seem to have enough staff. And it’s the same all over the ground. And there’s no beer.”

As temperatures reached 35℃ there were warnings to spectators to “drink plenty of water”. However, there were queues of 30 minutes in the sun to fill bottles at taps. A sprinkler was turned on so spectators could cool down.

Competitors have also complained of small portions, undercooked meat and lack of supplies at the athletes’ villages.

Jack Draper, the British tennis player, criticised the organisers for making players drink “hot water” on court after wilting in a second-round loss to American Taylor Fritz.

Players are supplied with environmentally-friendly refillable bottles, but Draper found himself unable to keep his water cool, and spent the changes of ends waiting at a water fountain.

“It was tough conditions, there’s no doubt about it,” said Draper as he dripped with sweat. “Part of it’s physicality but I said to the referee, it’s pretty poor that the players have to drink hot water when we’re playing in those conditions.

“It’s important we have good fridges to keep our water cool… we shouldn’t have to fill our water up every change of ends, we need to sit down. I just think it’s pretty poor that they put the players through that on court.”

https://www.thetimes.com/sport/olym...-food-vxcrjqf36
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-24, 13:06

BF:

Everything about that sounds just awful - Whoever organized this mess must hate people in general. You don't treat your guests like that... unless you want to make sure they never come back.

The choices, and quality - This is Paris, fer cryin' out loud! Are they intent on ruining the gastronomical reputation of the entire country in barely more than 2 weeks?

Just pathetic - French food normally being excellent quality, surely everyone expected that the food and drink available would be at least palatable. I'm sure they weren't expecting 5-Star Michelin quality at a sports venue, but this sounds truly awful.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-24, 00:03

BF:

Quote:
Olympians complain meat dishes running out amid focus on vegan options

Athletes in Paris say there is not enough protein-rich food, with some claiming that organisers had limited the amounts they were allowed

Athletes have complained that the large quantity of vegan food being served in the Olympic Village has left them without enough meat.

Olympians in Paris said that they did not have enough protein-rich food, with some claiming that organisers had limited the amount they were allowed.

In response, the organisers have ordered an extra 700kg of eggs and tonnes of meat to “meet the needs of the athletes”.

Before the Games began, it was announced that 60 per cent of food options in the athlete’s village would be “plant-based” as part of the push to make Paris the most sustainable Olympics ever.

Many of the complaints have come from the Australian team, with athletes and former competitors raising concerns about the village.

Ariarne Titmus, an Australian swimmer, criticised the “ridiculous” conditions she believed hampered her bid to set a world record in the 400m freestyle on Saturday.

“It probably wasn’t the time I thought I was capable of, but living in the Olympic Village makes it hard to perform,” Titmus admitted.

“It’s definitely not made for high performance, so it’s about who can really keep it together in the mind.”

Michael Clarke, a former Australian cricket player, also claimed he had spoken to a boxer in the squad who was told he could only have a limited amount of meat.

He said: “I joked last night about the amount of vegan options in the village that they’re running out of meat. Well, an Australian heavyweight boxer has come out, he wanted lamb chops, maximum two chops person,” he said.

“The guy’s six foot six, he’d be 100 (kg) at the best. Two chops.”

James Magnussen, a retired Olympic swimmer who won gold, silver, and bronze medals at the Olympic Games in 2012 and 2016, also weighed in on the debate.

Writing in the Australian press, he said: “The lack of world records boils down to this whole eco-friendly, carbon footprint, vegan-first mentality rather than high performance”

The Australian Olympic Committee tried to calm the situation and said that despite the problems, food quantities were now being increased.

Etienne Thobois, the Paris 2024 chief executive, said organisers had responded to athletes’ concerns.

“We have 700kg of eggs and tonnes of meat have been the increases we have provided to meet the needs of athletes,” he said.

“We have got a full vision in terms of nutrition which is designed to provide the products necessary, including organic food. We have adapted everything and it is to the satisfaction of all concerned.

“We have had discussions with the heads of delegation and we have put the athletes at the forefront of our concerns and adapted our services to meet the needs of the athletes.”

It is not just athletes who may struggle to find meat at the Games.

At La Concorde, where the 3x3 basketball, BMX freestyle and skateboarding are being held, all the food available for spectators is vegetarian.

The restaurant in the athletes’ Olympic Village serves around 40,000 meals a day.

One-third of its 500 recipes are vegetarian, with many including locally grown lentils and quinoa.

Speaking before the Games began, Georgina Grenon, the environmental excellence director for Paris 2024, said: “We’re in France, so food is important.

“But it is about presenting another way to eat deliciously, even in a fast-paced way, like vegetarian hamburgers and hotdogs at a stadium.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...-vegan-options/
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-24, 07:34

BF:

Quote:
Before the Games began, it was announced that 60 per cent of food options in the athlete’s village would be “plant-based”

So they intentionally planned that only 40% of the food available would have any animal protein at all.

Quote:
Michael Clarke, a former Australian cricket player, also claimed he had spoken to a boxer in the squad who was told he could only have a limited amount of meat.

He said: “I joked last night about the amount of vegan options in the village that they’re running out of meat. Well, an Australian heavyweight boxer has come out, he wanted lamb chops, maximum two chops person,” he said.

“The guy’s six foot six, he’d be 100 (kg) at the best. Two chops.”

I haven't had lamb chops in ages, but I recall them being very tiny, so I googled - They apparently have about 2-3 oz of actual meat per chop. So this 6'6" guy who is at least 200 lbs of muscle was only allowed 2 tiny pieces of meat.

This is really mind boggling - It sounds like whoever was planning the food services didn't even bother to consult with their own Olympic trainers to determine what their own athletes needed to perform at their best, much less consider what athletes from around the world would need to sustain their abilities.

Sounds like they just went in with the idea that there would simply be little choice available - WE believe everyone should be eating quinoa and lentils, so WE decided that even the athletes will need to adjust their diets to our delicate sensibilities, because we're simply not going to provide anywhere near as much as they're used to in the way of animal proteins.

How is it not even written in whatever agreements/directives these committees need to adhere to that they aren't required to provide the proper type and amount of nutrition to the athletes?

So now they've walked it back - oh yes, we have tons of meat and eggs now, days into the event, claiming that "food is important" while still promoting their quinoa and lentils.

I have to wonder how many tons of quinoa and lentils will be left over after the closing ceremonies, because SO FEW WANTED THEM, whether athletes or spectators.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-24, 02:41

BF:

From Nina Teicholz:

How is Vegan Food for Olympic Athletes Like the Women's Boxing Controversy?
https://unsettledscience.substack.c...lympic-athletes
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-24, 05:38

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

And plant-based is BAD for the planet. There's no balancing act, here. Just bad science and high profit.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-24, 09:31

BF:

This was a gem I read in the comments on Nina's article:

Quote:

If there were 2 basic rules one should follow with regards to diet that everyone should probably follow it is these: 1. Obey your climate (latitude dictates generally what protein sources are available to you, ie: a vegan Inuit is impossible), 2. Obey your dentition (omnivorous dentition, omnivorous diet)

It's something I've often said, although I've never said it in such a concise way, mainly because it applies to more than just extreme climates.

It also applies to seasonal changes, because I always wondered what fresh fruits and vegetables our ancestors were supposedly finding to eat with a foot of snow on the ground in the middle of winter.

It makes no sense at all to me that any society could have ever been 100% vegan, or was ever meant to be. It's possible to do it today, but only through increasing the amount of pollution by processing vegan foods in one part of the world, then shipping them halfway around the world to meet vegan demands for plant based and ONLY plant based foods, rather than eating what is locally available when possible.

It's illogical to think you need to be vegan when the further north you are (or the further south in the southern hemisphere), the shorter the growing season. It only makes sense that with plants available for a shorter time that people survived on animal products, even if the poor ate mostly eggs, dairy, fish, and whatever wild animals they could catch (rabbits, squirrels, possum, etc) during the cold months.

Also if they grew grains to supplement their diet, they would have rationed them so they wouldn't run out before the next year's harvest, instead of building their meals around grains.

A truly topsy-turvy view of diet is being pushed on us today.