Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: L/C, personal plan
Stats: 240/155/148 Female 66.5
BF:23.5%
Progress: 92%
Default L-Gltamine and ketosis

Can someone answer this please?
I have been in ketosis since last Thursday but today I am not. I just started re-taking l-glutamine (10 gr) - I have not strayed at all on this so I am wondering if this caused me to get out of ketosis?

ANy thoughts?

tia
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 13:49

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Chantel, I've never heard of glutamine knocking anyone out of ketosis Testing for ketosis, however, can be tricky. What you eat, how much water you drink, and how much exercise you do, all greatly effect your readings- or lack there of.

If you've been drinking more water than usual and/or exercising harder or more it is possible you've used up the bulk of your ketone bodies and there arent any to 'spill over' into your urine for you to test.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 13:52
Registered Member

Default hmmm

That makes sence. After all, it is my 7th day.

tia for your prompt reply
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 18:10
Registered Member

Plan: ProteinPower/Body-for-Life
Stats: 215/181.5/130
BF:47%/38%/18%
Progress: 39%
Default $0.02

Hi!

Which Glutamine did you buy?

I'm new to diet/exercise, so this is just my 2 cents... I've been doing a Protein Power/BFL hybrid and I've been using Glutamine. I bought the first Glutamine I saw on the shelf at GNC just to try to ease the pain of my first few (ouch!) workouts. I'd read (here) that Glutamine would help with muscle recovery... Well, I'd been in ketosis just fine 'til the Glutamine. Then--boom!--I start taking the Glutamine and I'm out of ketosis... Well--duh, me--then I read the label: for every 5gm of Glutamine I was also getting 5gm of fructose, dextrose, natural and artificial flavors and a bunch of other stuff. No wonder the Glutamine tasted like KoolAid--it WAS kool aid! So, I was bumping my carbs up 15 sugar-filled grams per day. Who knew?

Well, I gave that yummy-purple Glutamine away to a co-worker. Now, I'm taking the tasteless, plain-old powder mixed in with my BetaGen and I'm back in ketosis.

BTW - Nat, you rock! The Glutamine (which you wrote a BFL thread on, and the BetaGen that I am also taking since it was recommended in the book) seem to be helping me a lot with recovery after workouts.

Thanks for your guidance! I rarely write, because I'm knew and I don't have much to offer to this forum. But I come here everyday for info and inspiration. I've only been dieting for a little over a week and it's really great having such an awesome resource to draw upon!

Trilbe
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 18:38

BF:
Default Re: $0.02

Quote:
Originally posted by Trilbe
well--duh, me--then I read the label: for every 5gm of Glutamine I was also getting 5gm of fructose, dextrose, natural and artificial flavors and a bunch of other stuff. No wonder the Glutamine tasted like KoolAid--it WAS kool aid! So, I was bumping my carbs up 15 sugar-filled grams per day. Who knew?

Trible, good point. It never occurred to me that it might not be straight glutamine powder (or L-Glutamine).

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 06:40

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I just opened a bottle of GNC L-Glutamine soft gels. I read the label when I bought it and it said no sugar, starches, or carbs. One of the ingredients listed is carob. Is it something I should stay away from? Is it a type of sugar? They tasted a bit like cocoa when I went to swallow them and am concerned that there is something in them that could pose a threat to my weight loss. I did look up carob on fitday and only found carob chips and powder and carob laden goodies. I am about 2 seconds away from panic after looking it up, as the carbs in everything with carob were high.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 08:08
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%

Stay away from L-Glutamine during your low-carb days. You see, glutamine can (and will) have an effect on the liver which will prevent ketogenesis from occuring. Save it for the carb-load.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 08:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
Stay away from L-Glutamine during your low-carb days. You see, glutamine can (and will) have an effect on the liver which will prevent ketogenesis from occuring. Save it for the carb-load.

Can you elaborate on this, Zeus. Most of us here are eating LC and taking glutamine regularly. It is actually recommended in many LC plans. I'm curious as to how it effects ketosis, as I am sure are others.

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 08:58
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%

When you supplement with L-Glutamine a small amount will be converted into "alanine". It will proceed to go into glucose. Which may or may not boot one out of ketosis. It does seem to vary from individual to individual and experimentation with L-Glutamine is the only way to find out if it will in fact kick you out of ketosis.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 09:16

BF:

Found some of my own information:

[copied from Glutamine: The Essential "Non-Essential" Amino Acid by Ivy Greenwell]

Quote:
Combats hypoglycemia by raising serum glucose

Glutamine can enter the Krebs cycle and serve as a non-carbohydrate source of energy. In fact, this is the main way it usually contributes to the production of energy. However, if the blood sugar is low (hypoglycemia), glutamine is readily catabolized (broken down) in the liver to provide more glucose. Together with alanine, glycine, serine and threonine, glutamine is an important "gluconeogenic" amino acid, in fact the primary one. This production of glucose from glutamine takes place mainly in the liver. Recently, however, it has been discovered that the kidneys can contribute as much as 25% to whole-body glucose production, a phenomenon that occurs only during hypoglycemia. Actually this is not surprising, since the kidneys are especially equipped to process glutamine due to its importance in the detoxification of ammonia.

Providing abundant glutamine through diet and supplementation means that less muscle tissue (if any) will be broken down to provide glucose. This is of great importance to people on calorie-restricted diets, whose great problem is losing muscle mass more so than fatty tissue. Since it is the metabolically active muscle mass that helps keep us slender (not to mention strong and fit), extra glutamine can help dieters lose girth around the waist while preserving muscle mass.

Considering the effectiveness of glutamine in combating hypoglycemia, it is no wonder that alternative medicine recommends it for the purpose of eliminating sugar cravings, and alcohol cravings in the fight against alcoholism (many alcoholics appear to suffer from hypoglycemia).

Diabetics, however, need to exercise caution, since they have an abnormal glutamine metabolism. A much higher percentage of their glutamine is broken down for the production of glucose by the liver and the kidneys, a process called glutamine gluconeogenesis. This increased production of glucose from glutamine (and also from alanine, an amino acid in the same family) is probably related to the diabetes-related excess levels of the serum glucose-raising pancreatic hormone called glucagon. True, this excessive breakdown of glutamine into glucose in diabetes occurs without any supplementation, since the muscle and the fatty tissue release so much glutamine in response to the endocrine pathology.

Diabetics also show other enzymatic abnormalities in relation to glutamine, including poor function of the retinal glia (glia are cells that have various supportive functions in the nervous system, including detoxifying ammonia through the production of glutamine). Thus the diabetic retina is prone to damage through glutamate excitotoxicity, since the glia are not converting enough glutamate to glutamine. While a plausible argument could be made for the benefits of glutamine even for diabetics-sparing of muscle mass, improved intestinal function, enhanced immune response-caution must be urged. A diabetic considering taking any amino acids should discuss the matter with his/her physician. The use of high doses of antioxidants, including vitamin E and various polyphenols, should be beneficial, as well as supplementation with taurine. Taurine is the one amino acid that seems to be very helpful to diabetics.

Now what I am curious about is this. Gluconeogenesis takes place under the influence of glucagon, not insulin. If you have extra glucagon floating around in your system, insulin cannot be present in large quantities (and vice versa). So, if insulin is not present, how can this knock you out of ketosis?

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 10:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
Gluconeogenesis takes place under the influence of glucagon, not insulin. If you have extra glucagon floating around in your system, insulin cannot be present in large quantities (and vice versa). So, if insulin is not present, how can this knock you out of ketosis?

OK, I seem to have answered my own question again I am quoting here , from a biochemist who answered my question elsewhere. His answer is taken from Koolman and Röhm, 1994

Gluconeogenesis, or the de novo synthesis of glucose, occurs predominantly in the liver. The kidneys also have high gluconeogenetic activity. However, because of the much smaller mass of these cells, the contribution of the kidneys to the synthesis of glucose is only about 10% of the total. The main precursors of gluconeogenesis are amino acids derived from the muscles. Prolonged fasting, therefore, results in a massive degradation of muscle protein. A further important precursor is lactate, which is formed in red blood cells and in muscles when oxygen is in short supply. Glycerol produced from the degradation of fats can also sustain gluconeogenesis. In contrast, the conversion of fatty acids to glucose is not possible in animal metabolism. Humans can synthesize several hundred grams of glucose per day by gluconeogenesis. Cortisol, glucagon, and epinephrine promote gluconeogenesis, whereas insulin inhibits it.

When the body senses a drop in the blood glucose level, the liver relies on glycogen (or muscle starch) degradation to supply glucose. Even though the muscles have glycogen, they can’t degrade it so the glucose molecules are sent into the blood stream so other tissues can use them. Moreover, the amount of liver glycogen is very limited, so it can rely on its degradation to supply blood glucose for only a limited period of time. Glycogen reserves are already depleted after a day of fasting, and the blood glucose level begins to fall. Not much later, however, it regains its original value, and the glycogen reserves of the liver also begin to recover. Both effects are due to the onset of gluconeogenesis.

So, it is possible to make glucose out of proteins, in fact we do that all the time. Whenever the blood glucose level drops, signals are sent to put the gluconeogenetic machinery to work. However, this process is under the control of glucagon, cortisol or epinephrine, the three of them acting under different circumstances. Glucagon and insulin don’t work both at the same time “on”. That is, if glucagon is “on” and controlling gluconeogenesis, insulin is “off”, and vice versa. Following this reasoning, if insulin is off (actually that means not present in excess), fat storage is also controlled, and fat release from the fat cells is favored (another process influenced by glucagon).

The process of gaining weight by storing fat into the fat cells needs fat, on one side, and insulin on the other side to activate the process. The process of gaining weight by making fat requires excess carbohydrates on one side and insulin on the other side to activate fat synthesis. With glucagon being released instead, a signal of low carbohydrate, these processes are inhibited. Thus, the mere conversion of amino acids into glucose by gluconeogenesis should not be misunderstood as a mechanism through which fat can be synthesized or deposited into the fat cells. The glucose produced by gluconeogenesis has a “tag” on it, if you will, and it will serve to supply for blood glucose when the levels fall.

Ketones are produced from fatty acids. Other triggering situations that increase the production of ketone bodies are starvation (true starvation), prolonged severe exercise and uncontrolled diabetes. Suppose that your muscles are well adjusted now to use fatty acids very efficiently for the production of respiratory energy. Saying that the muscles are well adjusted to the utilization of fatty acids for production of energy is not the same as saying that the muscles utilize ketone bodies all the time. They are different things, and even though ketosis may be detected at any given time, it doesn't mean that all the energy is being produced from their metabolism. If muscles are well adapted for fatty acid utilization, the amount available for ketosis is limited and ketones may not increase at any given time.

It is important to note that the utilization of fatty acids seems to be regulated at four different levels. First, the rate of lipolysis itself from triglycerides (to form free fatty acids). Second, the mobilization of fatty acids from the adipose tissue. Third, their transport into the mitochondrion, and finally the availability of important co-enzymes inside the mitochondria for beta oxidation of fatty acids, and the presence of a key enzyme as well.

When the muscle is adapted to fatty acid utilization for respiratory energy, those factors play in such way that the source for ketones may be restricted. That could explain why ketosis may not be always detected, not really because they are completely utilized (which can also occur), but because they are not being made so they can accumulate in the first place.

Nat
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 11:24
Registered Member

Default uh-oh

Ok, so is the bottom line I am in ketosis but I just can't detect it? lol -
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 11:27
Registered Member

Default 100% pure L-Glutamine

Mine is 100% pure L-glutamine. No sugar, fillers, sodium, lactose, artifical sweetners or colors. Just plain ol' LG, 5g a scoop.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 11:52

BF:

Chantel, I think the bottom line is that you need to see what happens over the next few weeks. Since I upped my water and started weight lifting I have never recorded a positive reading with those stix - yet I've lost over 25% BF They are tempermental devices, at the best of times.

Been meaning to ask - did you find this place from the link I posted over at BFLW?

Nat
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 12:02
Registered Member

Default Hi Nat

I think so. I do not post in that bb but I have learned a lot from the people there.

I do post at lowcarb.friends and BFL Women Kick Butt. My mom is a low carb advocate and swears by keto diets. She is the one who encouraged me to research and try it. I am a low carber but this is the first time I have ever been in ketosis. I am amazed that I have no cravings for crap food. Just amazed. I anticipated at least a couple of weeks of sugar withdrawl. But nota. Mom thinks its cuz I am a low carber by nature! lol - who knows.

Question: Do you weigh each week and measure too?