Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 22:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 322.2/316/140
BF:
Progress: 3%
Question Flavored Water

I found a product at Sam's by Veryfine called Fruit 2 0. It has zero calories, and zero carbs, and it is sweetened with splenda. Has anyone tried this product and is it okay to use it for some of my daily water intake?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 22:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/192/165
BF:
Progress: -8%
Default splenda

hi , from what i have read , splenda is the artificial sweetener recommended for the atkins diet. equal has some carbo, so that's NG. try the links on "sweeteners info".
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 11:46

Plan: LowCarb since 2/1/08
Stats: 312/312/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Fruit20

Hi msbroome!
I have also tried the produce Fruit20. Unless someone can absolutely tell me that the Splenda used in diet drinks has no carbs, I would assume that the Splenda should be counted towards your daily allotment of artificial sweeteners and carbs. I treat this drink the same as other diet drinks with Splenda. If anyone out there can dispute this, please reply.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 12:48
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

How can this have no carbs when Splenda has carbs?

just a thought

cin
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 13:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

The carbs in Splenda come from the filler(s) used to make the powdered form of this sweetener. Sucralose, which is the artificial sweetener in the product has ZERO carbs or calories. It's also 600 times as sweet as sugar, so it would only take a tiny dot to sweeten your recipe. However ... it's not very convenient to measure a "tiny dot" .. so the manufacturer uses a filler such as maltodextrin and/or dextrose to "fluff it up" and make it convenient for you to use.

Commercially made sodas, other beverages, desserts and jams are made with pure sucralose, since the manufacturer is making such huge quantities and a filler isn't required

Note - maltodextrin and/or dextrose are the fillers used for ALL other powdered sweetners too .. including Equal (aspartame), Sucaryl (saccharine), SugarTwin (cyclamate in Canada), etc. That's the source of the carbs in the product. Liquid sweeteners have zero carbs, because the carrier is water, and no filler is needed.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 14:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 322.2/316/140
BF:
Progress: 3%
Thumbs up

Thanks guys for the info. I guess I won't use it as a replacement for water, but as a refreshing and legal alternative.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 16:56

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

msbroome...

Good idea. There realy are no substitutes for water and anything else you drink during the day does not count towards your daily water intake. That doesn't stop me from having a Strawberry-Kiwi Diet Rite once in a while, but always water first (no pop until I've had at least 2 liters of water first). Just to give you an idea how often I have diet pop now...I bought a 12 pack of Diet Rite 3 weeks ago...still have 10 left. It would probably be less, but I hid it where the kids can't find it.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 08:32

Plan: LowCarb since 2/1/08
Stats: 312/312/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Sucralose

Thanks Doreen for the info on sucralose in diet drinks!

Does anyone on Atkins know if the sucralose in diet drinks should be counted as part of our daily 3 packet limit of Splenda (or artif. sweetener)?

Thanks!