Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 13:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/154/130
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Salting

hi everybody, can anyone tell me what 'salting' is ??? i also bought some sticks to test my urine they are called Diastix, although they dont go purple but brown to green, what are the name of the sticks that turn pink & purple ????
thanks
luv
sandy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 13:28

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Ketostix is what goes from pink to purple.

Very unsure of what you have purchased.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 07:37
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 154/128/120
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Diastix

Hi SandyUK

I think the Diastix are sticks which have a dual role for diabetics, in that they also test the levels of sugar in the urine

As Agonycat says above, we usually use Ketostix for testing for ketosis, and they turn shades of pink and purple.

As for "salting", where did you get this word from and what context was it used in? I can't say I've ever heard of it

Cheers

Chrissy
www.sugarlite.co.uk
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 12:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/154/130
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default re-salting

Thanks Boogie, this is what i saw on another low carb forum, hope you can make sense of it because i can't !!!!

Hi to anyone who wants to start salting, and the best thing to do first is go read these sites which give information about Watercure and the salt you need to use.

www.watercure2.com
http://curezone.com/foods/saltpage.html

You need to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces, PLUS 8 ounces for every 10 lbs you want to lose.

The salt part is a general rule of thumb. Some Salters are adjusting their salt as their bodies react. If they bloat and are taking the right amount of water, they will adjust. First of all, start slowly...the first day 1/8 tsp. a day the second day 1/4 tsp. a day,
until you get up to 1 tsp. That way, your body will adjust slowly. The salt should be a light grey colour and slightly damp in appearance and around 400mg or less sodium content per 1/4 teaspoon (1g).

The general rule is 1/8 tsp. of salt for every 16 ounces of water. Like I said before, this is the GENERAL rule. You may be different and require less.

How to take it??? Most put 1/8 tsp. on the tongue (the coarse kind) and then proceed to drink 16 ounces...you can do this slowly..over a period of time. Don't take the salt and jug down the water, you could be ill from too much water at once. Continue salting and drinking throughout the day and the evening if you still need to get your water in.
luv
sandy
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 15:38
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 154/128/120
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Salting

Hi Sandy

I checked out one of the site links you gave and it said the following:

"According to Butts, the water diet is easy to follow:

First, individuals must drink half their body weight in ounces of water a day. For eample, for someone who weighs 150 pounds should drink 75 ounces of water per day.

Second, individuals must ingest one-quarter of a teaspoon of sea salt for every quart of water they drink. Sea salt is better than table salt, says Butts, because table salt is devoid of minerals found in sea salt.

Third, people should avoid caffienated or alcoholic drinks.. These beverages will cause dehydration.

For every ounce of a caffeinated or alcoholic beverage that a person drinks, an additional ounce of water must be ingested to re-hydrate them."

By the sounds of it this guy believes drinking all this water and taking some sea salt will cure things like asthma, depression, allergies, cancer, MS etc. So according to the calculations I should be drinking 65 oz of water each day (just over 3 pints) + an extra 8oz for each 10lb I want to lose (another 8oz then).

We all know the benefits of drinking loads of water (and I think I drink more than what's recommended here anyway), but as for curing cancer and Altheimers ......... hmmm IMHO I don't really think it's that simple

If you decide to try it let us know how you get on with it and the extra salt

Cheers

Chrissy
www.sugarlite.co.uk
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 13:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

hi Sandy, Diastix measure glucose in the urine, so they're used by diabetics to see if their blood glucose is too high - though most diabetics check their blood directly these days. Ketostix are also used by diabetics to check that they haven't gone into ketoacidosis, which is dangerous for them. Ketostix measure ketones in the urine, which we also produce when we're burning fat. So - its Ketostix you want, not Diastix.
Also saw your question about psyllium - i'd say you probably do need to take that many capsules. I take the loose husks, three teaspoons in a glass of water - it takes some swallowing! It would take quite a few capsules to make upto three teaspoons I should think.
All the best, Jay