Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 19:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/199/140
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Help!!!

I am a beginner at low carbing (3 days) and I need some help. I am trying to add a little variety during induction. Is pickles considered cucumbers? What about salt? Is it ok in moderation? I also am having a hard time finding bacon that has cured without sugar. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 22:13

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Hi PackerFan,

Induction is very basic. Meat, fish, eggs, max 4 oz cheese and 3 cups salad/allowed vegetables per day to a max of 20 carbs. Pickles are not cucumbers. Your body needs fresh vegetables for the nutrients and fiber.

During Induction you should keep your copy of DANDR beside you at all times so that you can refresh your memory on his guidelines any time you have a question. My induction was 14 months ago, and I consulted the book daily for a month so that I knew I was following the program as written. No guess work for me. Why don't you try doing this so that you have a 'clean' induction for the best possible results?

HTH, take care
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 10:31
Registered Member

BF:

Ruth-
Thanks for the advice. I agree with you. I am finding that the simpler the better. You know, it's very difficult to break those years of eating for every reason other than to nourish your body but I am amazed that for the first time, I don't have food cravings! I was just afraid that if I didn't add a little variety, I would fall back into my old ways. I guess there's plenty of time for that after Induction. Thanks again for the support.

I do have a questions for you though. Should I stick to the 3 cups of salad/vegies even though my carb level is well under 20 grams or can I have extra vegies if needed that exceeds the 3 cups as long as I don't go over 20 grams? This is only for the Induction phase. Thanks in advance for your reply.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 11:35

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi packerfan,

How far below 20 g are you ? 15-20 g carbs is acceptable. If you are below 15 g carbs, I'd think you could have more green veggies like broccoli, spinach and romaine lettuce. After all you will be getting lots of fiber & nutrition from them and that can't be bad

Are you counting all the carbs? Eggs = .6 g, cheddar cheese, 1oz = .6 g. Did you know food labelling laws allow manufacturers to list carbs as 0 if it is below 1? Ie .8g carbs can be listed as 0.

Gotta run, I'm late for a birthday picnic
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 20:31
Registered Member

BF:

Ruth-
I haven't been calculating my carbs. That is something I need to start doing. Thanks for the tip