Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 08:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Gallstone question- advice please?

I am quoting a post on another board from someone who has been doing well on LC:

QUOTE: Well, change of plans in a lot of ways. Dr says my gallbladder duct could have stone or stones. Had gallbladder removed years ago. Apparently my Low Carb diet, having abundance of fat in it, has created a problem. I did not think it could do that. Changed now to calorie counting only.Confusing. Dr. warned me years ago & I did not listen, so now I pay for the fatty food, I guess. I go for tests in a few days, & then more tests & perhaps I will have to have them removed (if they find that that is the problem). Hard to count fat now instead of carbs. Lol. I will adjust but it will take a bit of effort & time. Also have to have chest pains or spasms checked out, to rule out the arteries having been affected by all the years of the dieting also. Oh, I am not a happy camper. END QUOTE

Any opinions about the ideas this doctor is giving out?

TIA
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 12:17
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Here is what Dr. Atkins says about gallbladder disease:

"There is now overwhelming scientific evidence that gallstones (responsible for over 90% of gallbladder disease) are formed when the fat intake is low. Two separate studies showed 25% of subjects on an ultra low-fat diet develped gallstones, and a third study on a 27 gram fat diet, produced gallstones in 13%.

The reason is that the gallbladder will not contract unless fat is taken in and if it does not do so, the bile salts will crystallize into stones. Our gallbladders need to be kept active to prevent stone formation. The scientific name for the reason stones form is "biliary stasis."

It is true, however, that people with existing stones may have trouble with high-fat meals. Such individuals may have to follow a low-fat variation of the Atkins diet."

Hope this helps,

Elihnig
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 20:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thanks Elihnig. That's what I remembered too and I found the post SO WEIRD! Well, it turns out to be a hoax on that other board. entirely made up by some troll who has been found out. Thanks for taking it seriously, I wish I hadn't. At least, if someone actually has a question about this, they can read the truth in your answer.

Many thanks.