Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 236/210/155
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy

I've been away for awhile but have returned & really need support.My doctor wanted me to do a couple of months of a regular diet to test my reactions to different foodsto see if they affected my arthritis.Well, do I feel awful!!! I added back starchy foods, breads, cereals, milk, alot of fruit.Since then I literally ache all over and some days have trouble walking!In fact, my 81 year old mother is more agile than me.Soooo, I'm getting off all of that food and going back to low carb on which I know I'm almost pain free!! Oh yes, my reflux reared it's ugly head again & I am now on meds again for it! I HAVE to make this work for me and I know i will have trouble kicking the bread habit again!
So, here I am again, begging for support!!
See you soon!
Carol from Kamloops!
PS....I posted a reply to the Ross's chocolate post on the Products page.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 10:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Carol,

We're here for ya! Seems like your doc tried putting all carbs together Well, unfortunately most of them think like that!

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 10:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/148/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 109%

You are in our thoughts Carol. Welcome back. dankar
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 10:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default hi Carol, nice to hear from you

I knew you didn't really "leave" us ..

Grains and COW-milk dairy products are NOTORIOUS for stimulating inflammatory conditions in the joints. Too bad your doctor wasn't more informed about elimination diets -- one doesn't usually add suspected offending foods all at once!! Anyway, you should be feeling better soon with lowcarbing. Sorry you had to go through this though.

Another suggestion from the Arthritis Foundation, is to avoid foods from the Nightshade family of vegetables. These plants contain solanine, which MAY also contribute to joint inflammation. The vegetables include potatoes (but yer not eating those anyway, right ??), tomatoes, bell peppers and eggplant.

Hope you're feeling better soon, and look forward to reading more posts from you soon!

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 10:43

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Hi Carol and welcome back!

I am really sorry your doctor made you go through all that, but in a week or so you should be back to feeling great again!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 13:33
Registered Member

Plan: Type 2 Diabetes/Protein Power/Self-Designed Program
Stats: 240/180/140
BF:
Progress:

Hi, Carol! I'm totally new here, but want to send my encouragement to you. My eldest daughter was diagnosed with systimic JRA when she was two years old. She's twenty-two now and for the first time is pain free from the low carb diet we have been doing together. Cutting out all tomato products, potatoes, cucumbers, bananas and the melon family has been the best medicine she has done for herself. She is pain free most of the time and the aching water retention is no longer a problem. Just want you to know that we support you.
Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 14:59
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Smile Thanks for the welcome back!

Thanks for the encouraging messages! I tried to tell my doctor about how much I ached and while on low carb these symptoms seem to fade away.He & so many others tend to scoff but I think I know my body better than anyone!
After I've been back on LC for awhile I will go back to tell him of my experiment.Maybe he will see the light!
I'm finding wheat products really bother me too!

This is a sad day for me......our sweet new grandson was here for 5 days and had to go home this morning! They live in Calgary so had a long drive ahead of them! Baby Max is 6 weeks old and looks like both his dad & Mom! A real sweetheart!!
Carol
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 20:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/147/107
BF:
Progress:
Default Welcome back, Carol

Glad to 'see' you again, and I hope that getting back on the low carb track will quickly ease your aches and pains. Soon you'll be cooking up a storm!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-01, 22:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Carol; I am new here.
I was from Calgary too. My husband joined the police dept in Ontario so we moved here. My inlaws miss our kids too.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 06:39
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Shelley....this is strange ..........I spent a few years{6 to be exact} in Cambridge but it was back when it was known as Galt. My Mom lived there with her aunt while my Dad was in the Air force during the war.Moved to the prairies and then back to Ontario when we kids were younger.I still have a cousin or 2 there.
Carol
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 06:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%

Carol; The world is getting smaller all the time. Cambridge is a nice city, growing like crazy. We even have a new mega-mall.
I live in Hespeler.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 14:43

Plan:
Stats: 203/122/128
BF:
Progress:

Glad your back Carol. We usually give a higher respect on a Doctors word then what we darn well know is best for us. So im glad your listening to your body and what it needs.

Hugs!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 16:16
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Good day so far......

I'm posting in this section because I'm having trouble with the pages loading.Takes anywhere from 1-5 minutes.
I'm 3/4 of the way thru my first day back on LC and I feel great!My fingers have lost there puffiness already!I haven't totalled my carbs for the day yet but I am around 15 or less so far.Dinner will bring that total up abit more.
Tinakaye...........how did your photography session go? I'll bet it was a wonderful experience!!
Later