Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 12:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253/240/130
BF:
Progress: 11%
Thumbs up Re-Starting today

Hi all,

Well, I started LCing last week, but I fell off after 2 days... . I am trying to do this right, but at night for some reason I start to crave milk or doritos (two things I hardly ever ate before). I give in, but count the chips and measure the milk, and basically, even though I am supposed to be under 20g I am staying under 50g a day. I went into ketosis the first day on this WOE.

Is is POSSIBLE to loose 8lbs the first day? I weighed myself the first day at 253 and then the second day at 245lbs. I weighed at the same time of day and on an empty stomach. Mostly water weight, but a week later, and with light cheating, still at 245lbs.

Sunday night I went out and one of my friends whom I haven't seen for a couple of weeks noticed that I looked better and had way more energy. Whatever happens and if I don't follow by the letter, I will take Dr. Atkin's ideas to heart. I don't want to die young!!! My aunt is 57 and just had a heart attack.

well, that is my thread of consciousness for now.

Nicole
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 13:00

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Try it again...

It's important to follow the plan closely, especially during Induction...

...and I don't think you'll find milk or Doritos on the list of allowed foods for Induction...whether you count the chips or not. It's not only about staying at 20gms of carbs, the carbs also have to be from those foods that are allowed.

Folks have considerably higher rate of success if they do not try to create their own program but instead read and re-read the book to clarify what it's all about.

Good luck to you!

Donald
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 05:30

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%

DWRolfe is right!!

You can't create your own plan.

Anything thats worth doing is worth doing right!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 06:10

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

Not possible to lose 8 pounds of fat in one day. It is water or a possible margin of error on the scales or a combination of the two.

The idea of 20 grams of Carbs is not because the lower the carb the more the weight loss it is to re-adjust the glucose/insulin balance in the body. If you stick with the 20 gram level, the cravings for doritos will gradually diminish. If you give in at the beginning you are fighting a losing battle.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 06:21

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I agree with the others.

Milk and doritos are NOT allowed foods on induction or any other time to be honest.

There is a reason for the strictness of the diet. It is to 1) break the addiction to carbohydrates 2) teach us proper eating habits 3) re teach us what to eat in order to maintain a healthy weight.

Induction is to help break the carbohydrate addiction by detoxing our system. Go back and re read your book on the chapter that covers this. There are 4 pages of allowed foods. That is your guide. If a food didn't make that list then it should NOT be making it to your mouth. Period.

If you find Atkin's just way to strict for your liking and life style, there is a menu selection to your right called "Which low-carb plan is right for me?" you may want to check out. There the plans are outlined and compared.

I must stress one thing at this point. Doing the diet the wrong way can have ADVERSE affects on your health. There are reasons to the rules.

Do the research and protect your health.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 07:46

Stats: 253/240/130
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks everyone, I know doritos and milk isn't on the list. I am highly aware of that actually. The food that I was addicted to was potatoes. I haven't had any! Well, let's see if I can make it through today without my milk and doritos. grrrr. Before this, I would buy a bag of doritos and they would go stale....I wonder what gives...lol.

Today I WILL do it. I promise myself I won't give in.

Nicole