Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-10, 03:11
Registered Member

Plan: IPD/general low card
Stats: 202/196/140 Female 5' 3''
BF:
Progress: 10%
Unhappy de-railment

Morning all...having a bit of a rubbish start to the day having had a double de-railment yesterday. I had 2 drinks receptions (both for work so unavoidable) to go to yesterday. At the first one no food, so no problem with that but the drinks they had out were wine or orange juice...no water!!!!! (it was only a very small reception) So, I had a stupid moment and thought oh sod it I'll have a glass of wine then. Which I did. OK, so one glass not really a huge issue, but I know that it stalls me and I'm not at that rung of owl anyway! So on to reception number two....no food til 8.45 in the evening and only drinks before that. Having had the one glass of wine the next couple went down a lot easier! So instead of just saying OK, I had that one glass lets go back and have some water now instead, I just made things worse.

Finally when the food did come it was teeny tiny things on giant mounds of potato...so the sausage and mash (albeit a posh version) was 3 tiny slices of sausage on a sea of mash. The sea bass was a thumb sized piece of fish on, you guessed it, a pile of crushed potato. The vegetarian option was risotto so no joy there either. By that time I was so hungry I would have eaten anything they put in front of me so ended up eating some potato just to get through the evening!

I am really quite cross with myself. Firstly for having the wine which I know will stall me this week and secondly for not being prepared enough with my food. I dont know how I'd have snuck a salad into a drinks reception (I was getting home way too late to save myself and eat when home) but I could have done something to help keep the unger at bay better.

I feel like I've been stuck at this weight for ages now. It seems to be a real sticking point for me - and I do mean psychologically rather than physically. If I really stuck to the diet properly I would almost certainly still be losing every week but I keep derailing myself and yo-yoing the same 4 or 5 lb.

Anyway...sorry for the lengthy ramble, just needed to vent my frustration a bit. Onwards and upwards today and a big kick up the backside to get back on track and stay there!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-10, 06:30

Plan: general low carb/my way
Stats: 195/180/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

I feel your pain!

I did the same thing yesterday, although I had no excuses not to stay on track. Hubby and I had a stressful day (noise outside our home,,house shaking all day due to them replacing the sewer pipes under the road..grr) So around 3 pm I was still doing well..till hubby cracked open a bottle of rum. I had 3 rum with diet coke. Now in itself still zero carb..but then the carnage began. dinner consisted of 2 butter tarts and 6!! chicken strips (breaded and deep fried of course!) with real bbq sauce and a huge handful of potato chips.

Scale has laughed in my face this morning with a 0.6 gain. I think I am in about the same boat as you with the self sabatoge. I am at the lowest weight I have been in years with my highest being around march at 189. You would think the smaller sizes we wear would be motivation enough to keep going. AAAARRRH>

Not much help I know...just commiserating!

OK. today WILL be better.

Lynn
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-10, 11:03

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 165/130/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

First off, don't be mad at yourself! These situations are going to happen! Forget about it and get back on plan as soon as you can.
And, I can relate, as right now I'm off plan due to being sick. Some may think that's no excuse, but I came down with a bad cold just as I was doing my main monthly grocery shopping. I was achy, I couldn't think, I just wanted to get out of the store and get home to bed. Most of my LC food(ie, meat)is in the freezer until it can be cooked. I can't smell or taste anything, so I've just been eating those cup-of-noodle soup thingies in the styrofoam cups(in the pantry for storm situations)in lieu of LC soups(I just can't stand at the stove right now, just bundled up in my chair and DH can boil water for me). Plus lots of decaf tea. I'm at once dehydrated and bloated. I know I'm up a few pounds, but I also know as soon as I can spend time in the kitchen, I'll be back on track.
Things do de-rail us, but a bad situation shouldn't get in the way of our long-term success. I probably manage to be LC about 90% of the time, and I feel great about that.
The next time you are faced with a similar reception, hopefully, you will have some jerky or a protein bar in you purse for just that emergency. If not, just remember this is your main way of eating and you'll still be ahead of the game in the long run. I hope I'm making sense, as I'm trying to think with a head full of antihistamines, lol!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-10, 18:04

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Yes, this is the rare time when a protein bar or package of jerky can really make a big difference. Maybe they aren't your best choice, especially the Atkins bar, but it's better than a mound of mash.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-10, 21:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/129/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 57%

you will be fine! Trust me, we all have set backs and go off rail. but it makes me try harder the next day because if I let that sad disappointed feeling hang around too long, I can't get control again. Thank you for sharing and much luck to you! you can do it!

Baba
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-10, 22:01

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/146.2/135 Female 5'6"
BF:24.2
Progress: 71%

I get derailed rather too much, but I've learned not to let it upset me too much. This happens, and I've learned to get right back on track. That's what you have to do. Little excursions into carb-land don't do all that much damage as long as it's an episode, and not a way of life!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-10, 22:38

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
I get derailed rather too much, but I've learned not to let it upset me too much. This happens, and I've learned to get right back on track. That's what you have to do. Little excursions into carb-land don't do all that much damage as long as it's an episode, and not a way of life!

What a wonderful way to put it ... and soooo true!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-08-10, 01:58
Registered Member

Plan: IPD/general low card
Stats: 202/196/140 Female 5' 3''
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thanks for the support guys. I'm fully back on track and trying to remember it was a small set-back and not a disaster!!! Think I will try the protein bar option if I'm going to be in that situation again!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-08-10, 04:08

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I always carry a small (one ounce) pack of unsalted almonds for 'emergencies'.