Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 05:01

Plan: akins
Stats: 170/170/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Red face lynnh

Hi my name is lynn I went on akins 4 months ago for about 2 weeks and lost about 5 to 8 lbs but but got so tried of eating so much meat so I decided to give WW a try, lost another 13 lbs but haven't lost anything in 4 weeks so I'm going back on akins again. I go to the gym 4 to 5 times a week. I am leaving to go to work for about 1 month so no gym, then I am going on a cruise for 7 days and I would love to lose at least another 10 to 15 lbs before then. Please Help I am such a picky eater you wouldn't think so weigthing 170 at 5'3".
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 07:52
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hello Lynnh,

Just some food for thought...........

Choosing Atkins as a method of losing weight is fine, however, be aware that if it isn't chosen as a permanent way of life, then you will likely gain back most of the weight you lost ....which is never good. It will only be harder to lose next time.

You need to also be aware that you will not lose at the same rate after induction as during induction. For example, if you have 50 lbs. to lose you can expect to lose 10% (5 lbs.) during induction, and then 5% (2.5 lbs.) per month thereafter. This would be considered a good rate of loss.

Low-carbing has been wonderful for me in helping me to feel better and that's the main reason I stick to it. I also KNOW that if I am patient I will lose the weight I want in another 6 months or more. We'd all love to lose 15 lbs. per month, but no diet (probably not even fasting) would give you those kinds of results, nor would it be healthy).

Keep in mind also, that once you get past induction (where you eat "so much meat") your choices become more varied and you can add more vegetables, a little fruit perhaps, nuts, etc. And even moreso once you get closer to your goal weight and then maintenance.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 11:10

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Welcome, Lynn. You've just gotten some terrific advice from Teri -- hard to swallow, sometimes. We're so programmed that it's all about losing weight -- and Atkins, especially, has the reputation of being a quick weight loss diet -- but to work, it has to be a lifestyle change.

I'm a picky eater too -- picky about real food, that is. Just about any junk food was okay! It can be a difficult adjustment. But it's worth it.

You'll find some good tips on "how to jazz up induction" from Karen -- check out the Low Carb Tips link on the orange bar at the top of the board. Look at those as a guide -- even if you don't care for the particular ingredients in this or that recipe, you'll find a lot of excellent ideas for making a salad or a piece of meat more interesting.

Good luck! Dig in for the long haul. Your body will still be around long after the cruise