Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 11:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Lightbulb Identity

I'm browsing the LC forum so that I can procrastinate doing my laundry and dishes. So I'll start a discussion on something I've often pondered.

Most of us consider ourselves carb addicts. "Once I start, I can't stop." "To me, there's no such thing as too rich." "I could eat (frosting right out of the container, a bucket of raw cookie dough, an entire can of Pringles, etc)." These are statements that have applied to me at one point and have amused many a coworker and friend. I used to eat junk constantly. Ah, the early twenties, when you can get away with it.

But you know what? I honestly believe that, at least for many people, once you eliminate junk, your tolerance goes way down. I've hardly had any candy since my coworkers bought me a gallon-sized bucket of mini chocolate bars when I left back in August. I was at a dinner on Friday night, and when confronted with the cake, it just didn't *taste* very good. I ate a bit of the frosting since it was real whipped cream with very little sugar, and I chucked it in the garbage. I honestly didn't want it.

We've all heard of people who say, "I don't care for sweets." These people used to make me sick. But y'know what? I'm becoming one of them. When I'm really hungry, I think of a big cheesy omelette or caesar salad - chips or candy don't even enter my mind anymore.

So: I realize that the addiction model for food works well for many people, but I don't like it; not for me, anyway. I prefer to think that yes, I can have small amounts of it on occaision and it won't drive me crazy. I firmly believe in self-fulfilling prophecies; that whatever you believe about yourself will become truth, if it isn't already. "I'm just not much of a sweets person. I'd rather have a big juicy burger." Isn't that a neat thing to be able to say? This is the new version: "I don't mind a little bit of something rich, every now and then" and "I USED to be a sugar junkie, but now, eating junk makes me feel like crap, so I don't do it anymore."

Just a thought. You can change your identity; you can change the tape recorder in your head to play a different tune.

--
Kristine, not much of a sugar person.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 14:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Kristine, I hope this works for me someday.

I do really enjoy the foods on this woe, and I am beginning to love the taste of water--rarely drink anything else except for a cup of coffee once a day as a treat.

But, sadly, I'm 57 years old and I still love chocolate. I used to eat ice cream every day and I don't even think about that anymore, but the chocolate.................
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 14:19

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Sugar's never been my thing, but I used to go through a can of pringles with a big bowl of fresh guacamole made with 3 avocados at one sitting. Now it's not even tempting.

You are so right about changing the way you think about yourself. When I started this WOL, one of the first things I did was tell people, "I don't eat that anymore," when confronted with offers of sugary or other high-carb foods. They may not believe me, but I do.

We had a company potluck picnic recently and everyone marvelled at how easy it was for me to stay away from the desserts table and the sides table that was loaded with potato and pasta salads -- of course there were no green salads. The picnic included a barbecue, so I had a nice big chicken breast and pickles for my lunch. And I brought chicken wings as an appetizer so I knew there would be something I do eat.

That's another thing: It's not "can't" eat, it's "don't" eat. It's my choice, not a restriction.

;-Deb
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 15:13
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Atrsy - I'm still a fan of chocolate. But I made a deal with myself that I won't "settle" for crappy chocolate just because it's available. If I really want it, it has to be good stuff that I'll enjoy. I indulge once in a blue moon.

OTOH, I hope I learn to like water someday.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 16:33

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I have to admit...I love all things sweet and I don't think that is something that will ever change in me. Having said that, I also find that "illegal" foods just don't appeal to me as much as they used to because I know how crappy they will make me feel if I eat them...kind of like aversion therapy, I guess. My sister in law was serving cake after church this morning and when it was gone, there was a lot of frosting left in the pan. She jokingly asked if anyone wanted a plate of frosting. Now, a year ago I probably would have dived into that leftover frosting, but today I looked at it and thought "yuck, that doesn't even look good". Now THAT'S progress! Chocolate is a different thing altogether. Fortunately, I found Pure DeLite truffles. I have shared them with co-workers and one even commented that he thought is was better than Godiva. Yes, I'm aware of hidden carbs, but at worst these truffles have maybe 3 or 4 grams each, so I can indulge in one once in awhile without guilt or damaging my low carb WOE. My husband also loves them and he is a true chocolate conosseur so I know it's not just my carb deprived taste buds talking.