Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 16:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 385/343/220 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default The Biggest Loser Cardio Max

Well everybody I'm off to a good start but I still have about 100lbs to lose. So far all I have done is I have changed my eating habits but I think starting to work out will kick it up a notch!

Where I work we finish up really early on the weekends and sit around doing nothing for hours, but I thought it would be fun to start a workout group. Last Sunday we tried out The Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD. It's a great DVD that lets you customize workouts and it cost less then $10!!! I plan on doing that a few times a week and then starting to add some weight training in.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 18:42
Registered Member

BF:

I just got back from Wal-Mart and I got the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt. I'm excited to try it out.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 06:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 290/269/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Great! Enjoy!!! But remember to use it.... just having it in the house isn't going to help lol
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 06:44

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Weights > "Cardio"
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 15:55
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBug
Weights > "Cardio"

In my opinion a need for cardio and the need for weight training is equal. The Cardio max uses weights some and the Power Sculpt DVD is totally focused on weight training.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 20:21

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

In my opinion, Dr. Pepper tastes like it was cold-aged under a skunk's tail. So what?

"Cardio" training is actually very, very inefficient strength training. It is actually the ultimate hi rep, low resistance exercise that will very slowly increase the strength of your leg muscles, if you do a lot of treadmill training, enabling you to walk (or god forbid run) farther and faster. Most people then confuse this increases speed or endurance with having a more conditioned heart. Actually, your legs have gotten stronger, which is important, but lifting weights would have done it better and faster.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 05:17
Registered Member

BF:

Good thing I'm not doing cardio to increase the strength of my legs. To each their own.

Thanks for the warm welcome to the board forums.

*Drinks his diet Dr. Pepper*
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 05:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 290/269/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnSee
Good thing I'm not doing cardio to increase the strength of my legs. To each their own.

Thanks for the warm welcome to the board forums.

*Drinks his diet Dr. Pepper*

I agree (well except the diet Dr. Pepper -- gives me migraines from the red dye which I'm allergic to) ... but exercise is something we do to make ourselves feel better, whichever we choose, whether it be cardio, aerobic (same thing?), dance, weight lifting, weight training, body building, or whatever.

Whichever one we choose is better than letting our muscles atrophy so that we can't do any of it.

(and I've lost 2 inches off my hips this past week from walking 40 min for four days on the treadmill .... so yeah, it does work).
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 06:10
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandarose
I agree (well except the diet Dr. Pepper -- gives me migraines from the red dye which I'm allergic to) ... but exercise is something we do to make ourselves feel better, whichever we choose, whether it be cardio, aerobic (same thing?), dance, weight lifting, weight training, body building, or whatever.

Whichever one we choose is better than letting our muscles atrophy so that we can't do any of it.

(and I've lost 2 inches off my hips this past week from walking 40 min for four days on the treadmill .... so yeah, it does work).

I totally agree
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 11:55
Gibbers

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBug
In my opinion, Dr. Pepper tastes like it was cold-aged under a skunk's tail. So what?

Comments like this are totally uncalled for and discredit the rest of what you say.
Just because you believe cardio is unnecessary doesn't mean everyone else has to.

To the OP: Do what works for you and do what you enjoy.... Good luck on your new workout vids!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 16:27

Plan: South Beachy/ My Plan
Stats: 206/159.0/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 77%

I lost 56lbs doing cardio, I did add 3-5lb weights in in the last month of it but it was mostly cardio that got my weight off.
I have actually been looking into the Biggest Loser DvDs, let me know what you think of the sculpting one.

Good luck Greg! I wish you the best!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 21:06
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks guys. It's nice to see some positive comments. I actually feel welcomed instead of totally annoyed.