Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 18:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/212/160
BF:
Progress: 20%
Question Cauliflower Alternative?

All of the cauliflower recipes sound delicious. Unfortunately, my DH (who is LC'ing with me) can't stand it. Has anyoe found a substitute? Or has anyone tried serving one of the wonderful faux dishes that uses cauliflower to someone who doesn't like cauliflower? Did they like it? I hate wasting food and since I am now the cook in my little family (DH was the primary cook until he went back to school) I want to make sure I prepare things we both will eat. Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated.

H
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 12:35

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

I like cauliflower just fine...but I can't convince myself they're potatoes! However, cooked turnips seem more like potatoes to me. Others have posted that they've roasted or boiled radishes and mashed them and come up with a believable mashed potato concoction.

For picky eaters, you can always keep a bag of pre-washed salad mix in the fridge...then if he doesn't like that night's new cooked veggie recipe, you have an alternative to serve!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 14:59

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

I personally only liked raw cauliflower, never cooked. I make the Cauliflower fried rice, using a bit more soy sauce then the recipe calls (low sodium though) and I love it!!!!!!!! It truly does not taste like cauliflower, honest. I also cook it a bit longer the the recipe calls, I find if it browns a little more it tastes even better. I haven't tried the mock mashed potatos yet, but I have heard they are incredible, you would never guess they are cauliflower.

Good luck..

Cindy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 15:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/212/160
BF:
Progress: 20%
Talking Thanks!

Thanks for the ideas folks. I will try the turnip and cauliflower and have veggies on hand for DH just in case. I think I will also sneak a mouth ful of whatever I cook into his mouth without him seeing what it is or knowing what it is. Some times a person's concept of a food or the expectation it must be bad destroy's an honest taste test.

Wish me luck then or rather wish my DH husband's taste buds luck!

H
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 13:16
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 125/110/110
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default My daughter hated cauliflower

My daughter hated cauliflower....wouldn't touch it! I made the cauli-rice and now that is her favorite dish. Of course she adds a little extra soy sauce, but she loves it.