Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 07:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/124/110
BF:
Progress: 30%
Question Can I do this?

Hi everyone. Here I am on day 7. No scale loss, but an inch on the waist, 1/2 inch on one thigh, and a quarter of an inch in a couple of other places. I have been in ketosis since day 2.

I am hosting a partylite party on Sunday (like a tupperware party but for candles). Would it be ok to cheat? I know ideally no, but I am going to have 10-12 people here. It would only be a cookie and some other carby fare, but only for about an hour, and only a little. I guess I am kind of thinking about the free day on BFL and wondering if I could have a free 2 hours during the first 2 weeks. The problem is Easter is the next week, and I will definitely be off plan for that day. Have any of you tried to combine the "free day" into this at all?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 08:49

Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Progress: 89%
Cool

Lizzie,

There are no cookies or goodies allowed on the induction stage of Atkins (your profile says Atkins is your program). If you have been on strict induction for theiber past week you will go out of ketosis and essentially be off the program. Additionally, you will spike your insulin levels (which by now are low) and you will likely feel badly for a few days as you start over...From The Beginning. What would be better is to make snacks that you can have without throwing yourself off the program. Do a search for snacks or look under the snack section of the recipe forums. Try things like high fiber veggies with an approved dip, pinwheels made with cream cheese, meats, and other acceptable veggies. Celery stuffed with nut butters is great too. There are lots of great ideas on this sight. You can have a great party and still respect your body and your goals. Good luck and happy low carbing!

Betsy
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 10:33

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Lizzie

Considering I’m new to Atkins and don’t celebrate Easter (I’m Jewish) perhaps I’m not the best to comment here, but I don’t think you should plan to go off program. IMHO, planning should only be to stay on program, and then if you happen to slip now and then, you learn from it and move on.

You might be pleasantly surprised come Sunday that you’re not even tempted by that cookie you’re thinking about now. My boyfriend is the king of cookie-baking – he is well-known for his cookies, and is constantly baking for some event or other at work etc. I can honestly say that after about a week on Atkins, I’ve had little to no temptation to eat any.

As for Easter, it would seem to me there are plenty of LC choices in a traditional meal. Even the desserts – isn’t cheese pie a typical Easter treat? I know I’ve seen references to a crustless cheese cake on this site. Maybe you could ad this to the menu.

Good luck!

-- Rhu
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 10:48
Registered Member

Stats: 130/124/110
BF:
Progress: 30%

Thanks for both your help. I have decided for the candle party, I am just going to cook for everyone else, and do what I can before and after for myself as far as eating. This will be a test. It is a Mexican theme, and I can't find many lo carb mexican munchies around. I will have the dip (cream cheese, salsa, cheddar cheese, black olives) without the tortilla chips though!

As for Easter, I guess I can try to stay on plan, but I am not doing the cooking, and when we go to family functions we stay for hours and hours and hours and hours, so it will be hard to avoid eating there. I can always eat the ham (although it will have a sugary glaze) and stick with maybe some of the veggies. Maybe I can have a little bit of cheesecake if I don't eat the crust. I don't know. I am not going to kick myself if I screw up there. Hopefully I will see some more results that will help steel me against Auntie Sheilas awesome cheese mashed potatoes. Thanks for your help. At least I know I will be safe for this weekend.....