Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 09:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/154/145
BF:
Progress: 55%
Question PASSOVER

Passover (AKA constipation celebration) begins next week and in the past I have gotten through the week existing on Matzah and cheese. What do I do this year?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 11:09

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
Talking Eat! Eat! What do you want-- to starve?

Holidays always seem to pose a problem, but they really only beg for a little creativity and some self-control when it comes to traditional high carbohydrate foods. Satisfactory solutions can be found! In England, it is very traditional to have pancakes with jam or sugar on Shrove Tuesday (practicing or not), so I ended up making egg fu yung pancakes. Substitute whenever possible for something similar but LC. The recipie archive may give some suggestions on specific dishes.

And if you aren't doing the cooking... lucky you.

Passover has some obvious advantages to LC: roast lamb, clear soups (no matza balls! avoid borst), chicken, and fish. Bits that are good include almonds, smoked salmon, horseradish, and marror (bitter herbs). Cheeses are fine... I double checked a few kosher sites on the Internet which listed kosher mozzarella, feta, and ricotta, and I know for a fact that Philadelphia cream cheese is Kosher. Lox and cream cheese...

As for foods to avoid, Matzah is up there, though if you participate in the ceremony, a bite certainly won't kill you. Others to avoid: rugelach, potato kugel, noodles/dumplings, knishes, tzimmes, blintzes, and cholent (traditionally contains potatoes, beans, barley, etc.)

Some things to watch out for: the customary four cups of wine-- Passover wine is sometimes high in sugars or even substituted with grape juice. Also, gefilte fish is sometimes made with carrots and beets that you want to avoid.

I hope this helps. Happy Passover!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 14:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/154/145
BF:
Progress: 55%
Smile Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions - the problem is not so much for the sedar, but for eight days. If only I had a live-in chef - oops, I do, it's me!
I just want an easy solution for someone who prefers immediate gratification (and just quit smoking)! The shakes and protein bars I normally go for at those times will not do; and unless I am the one making the desserts, I will have little to satisfy my sweet cravings! I wish there was a LC commercial product that was kosher for passover!