Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 18:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/194/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Smile Need some support!!!

HI, I am on day 8 of induction. I finally weighed myself to see I have only lost 4 pds. I was hoping for more, since I have quite a bit to loose. I guess that means I will be a slow looser.
I am really confused. I read on a thread yesterday about someone saying once you have your 3 cups of salad or your cup of veggies thats it! I thought you could eat 20 carbs a day, regardless of where they come from(meaning from the induction list) ? I love the salad so I have been having 2 a day, and I still haven't ever gone over my carb limit. I don't want to eat processed carbs, so am I wrong to have more salad to get up to my carb limit or is 3 cups of salad THE LIMIT???? Maybe I would loose faster If I were only having one salad??? Please clue me in here if I am on the right track or not? Thanks, in advance. Debbie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 18:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210//140
BF:
Progress: 17%

I think you are doing great, 4 pounds is a lot! As long as you are losing and staying under your carb limit, making sure that you have lots of protein and fat, you are doing good. Keep up the good work, we have similar goals and aren't too fat apart now. We can do this!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 19:55

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default I could be wrong but...

I checked Atkins... and he does say: This allows approximately 3 cups of salad vegetables or 2 cups of salad plus 2/3 cups cooked vegetables (pg. 95).

Okay...so if a medium head of lettuce has 15 carbs and I would say that is four servings, and you eat 2 servings...that's about 7 and say you eat a cup of broccoli is 6... You should be fine (and that's not even subtracting fiber). I think that as long as the majority of your carbs are "good" carbs, which it sounds like they are, and that you are staying under 20...everything it great!

First, remebmer that you arr not done induction...you have four more days and a lot can happen in that time. There have been so many mornings where the "whoosh" fairy have come to visit so keep you chin up.

Are you drinking water?

Erin
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 20:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

As long as you're counting the carbs in everything - and minus the fiber - you'll be fine. This is one of the secrets to enjoyable low-carbing: Learn how to count carbs, and you can eat a wider variety of foods, even on induction.

The salad and vegetable restrictions are placed to make it easier to follow because most people need to know what amounts are acceptable when they first start out. After a while it becomes second nature.

Remember that eggs, dairy products, shellfish and organ meats contain carbs.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 20:19

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

average induction loss for women is 10% of what they have to lose. Anything over that is a bonus--count your blessings!

We didn't put the weight on in a month, and it isn't coming off at three pounds a week forever, either. So what if it takes two years to remove the weight...so long as that removal is permanent? We'll all live those next two years anyway, right? At the end of them, if we have changed our lives and have our weights down to a healthy, maintanable level, if we love and appreciate ourselves, that's what important. I doubt any of us, in two years, will be able to recall the fast weeks, the slow weeks, or the days of scale frustration.

If the scale drives you nuts, stay off it as an act of self-care. And keep eating those salads! Best of luck to you
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 21:53
Registered Member

Stats: 226/218/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Default Welcome, Debrat3!

Hi Debrat3,
You're doing great with a 4 pound loss! And I have to say Karen and Razzle said it very well! Stick to the plan, listen to your body, count the carbs (for now) and have fun!

Also, you might try this: The scale can be volatile, so you may want to measure yourself and keep that record. Check your measurements every month or so and you'll see changes. Or those jeans that are tight now, they'll get looser as time passes.

Best wishes to you!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 14:58

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default The salad issue...

Hi Debbie,

I was having the problem with the limit on veggies in Induction too (the only thing about Atkins induction that frustrated me) and Karen pointed out something very sensible - that Atkins may be limiting the veggies to get people used to counting carbs. I also started adding more veggies in induction as my carb count allowed and I didn't notice any particular effect on weight. At least we have the opposite problem of most people - they can't figure out how to get the veggies in!

As to weight, I've been on LCing for about a month now and I've also only lost 5 pounds. But the bennefits have been wonderful, way beyond the scale - feeling more energy, my close bag on me, feeling lighter. I suspect I'm losing inches even though the scale has stalled for a couple of weeks. Also, a lot of people have said that weight loss on LCing comes in fits and starts - so it might seem slow but you might experience a pretty big drop at some point.

Don't lose faith - this is a great WOL!!!

Tam
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 18:28

Stats: 200/194/130 Female 5'3"
BF:

Thank you EVERYONE, I appreciate all your replys. Yes I am drinking at least 100 oz. of water a day so that is something I am doing right. YAH!!! I use www.fitday.com as my food diary, I can see what my %'s are when the day is through. I think I am doing ok. I have decided though when I am done with induction which will be Monday the 25th, I am throwing away my scale for good. I want to see what I lost during induction and from there on out I will let my clothes and body tell me how I am doing.I don't want the scale to predict how I will feel each day if there is no or little lose. I feel great also. I have exeruberant energy that feels sooooo GOOD. So thanks again, I am sure I will be asking again about something that pops up. Debbie