Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 06:05

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Question Which Math Formula?

It occurs to me that I have now seen *two* formulae for calculating how many calories one should be ingesting while following this WOL.

One is "ten times your weight, plus 10-12 percent."

The other is "ten to twelve calories per pound of current weight."

These don't give the same results. With the first one (which I've been trying to follow, and done pretty well with), my upper limit as of now is 1971 calories. With the second, it would be 2112.

Can anyone straighten out my confusion? If I *should* be eating more, I'd like to know.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 07:50

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Karen, I've yet to see the "ten times your weight, plus 10-12 percent" one. However the 10 - 12 times your weight is the guideline for satisfying your Basal Metabolic Rate - this amount will ensure that your body doesnt think it's starving. BMR accounts for 60-70% of your daily caloric need - meaning that 10 - 12 times isnt the upper limit, but rather the bare minimum. Assuming this, the two totals from the different forumlas would be closer than first thought.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 11:37
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Nat

Do you use your lean body weight or your actual?
I weight 284 and my lean body weight is 168.
Also does how overweight you are determine if you use 10%, 11% or 12%? Thanks...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 12:16

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lessara, you should use your actual weight. Carrying around the extra fat does take energy and resources. And no, I think the 10 - 12 number takes into account that everyone is different and BMR is 60-70% of caloric intake (and not say, a 75% constant); it's not like "You're 10% overweight, so multiply by 10" etc.

It is all approximation, of course. Unless you go in and have some serious testing done

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 20:57

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Default You mean...

I have to eat MORE?????

ROFL!!!

All righty then, back to the FitDay drawing board with a NEW target in mind...

And people wonder why I *love* this WOL!!!!