Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 09:30

Plan: SBD
Stats: 146/136/125 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Chocolate cake with chocolate ganache/frosting! YUM!!

Here is the Chocolate cake recipe...It may only work for those on SBD....but perhaps could be modified to atkins??

I took a basic recipe and played with the ingredients....it came out really good, but I definitely think the ganache is what sealed the deal. I do not know the carb/ calorie content, but it's definitely a rather healthy cake~Kids approved too!!

cake:
2 cups Splenda or Equivalent
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (REAL wheat flour )
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup soy flour
2 tbs flax seed meal (optional)
1 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup egg beaters OR 2 eggs
1 cup milk (i used skim)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsps vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

1. Heat oven to 350 F
2. Grease and flour two 9 in pans, or one 13 x 9 in pan. (I used a bundt pan0.
3. In large mixer bowl, stir all dry ingredients together.
4. Add eggbeaters/eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat at med. speed for 2 minutes.
5.Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour into prepared pan (Make sure you have stirred it really well first).
6.Bake 30-35 minutes for round pans, 35-40 for rect. pan, or until wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (I used my convection oven, and my bundt cake too about 30 mins.)

7. Cool 10 minutes, remove from pan and set on wire rack. (first place wax paper UNDER wire rack).

Ganache:
1 cup heavy cream
8 oz sugar free chocolate chopped.

Bring cream to a boil over high heat on stove top. Once it reaches a boil, remove immediately from heat and stir in chopped chocolate. Stir until all chocolate is melted and well blended. Let cool, stirring occassionally until ganache is thick, but still pourable. Pour ganache (I used a flour scoop, but any kind of scoop or large spoon would work) over cake, being sure to cover all of it. Smooth with plastic spatula or pastry knife if needed. All the extra ganache is going to drip down on to the wax paper...so MAKE sure you've got it under the wire rack!!! Let cake sit about 30 mins, then refrigerate until ready to serve.

Serve slices with a little extra ganache spooned over them, and 1 tbsp of fat free whipped topping!

(If you'd rather actually "Frost" the cake, let ganache cool in the frig until it is really thick, no longer pourable and is a frosting consistency...and try not to eat the whole thing before you frost the cake!! (it's soooooo good!)

Enjoy!!

Last edited by MrsSchaaff : Thu, Feb-16-06 at 13:53. Reason: need to mention this is a sbd recipe :)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 10:07
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

do you have the carb count for this cake?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 11:01

BF:

Hi Kevinpa!! I don't have one, but I am off to bring my dd to school and when I get home I'll enter in the info to the best of my ability and try to figure it all out That bundt cake you posted the other day was my inspiration!! I saw it and had to make something sweet!

If I find the info, I'll post it for you
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 12:12

BF:

Kevinpa, I just realized that I threw out my oat flour packaging, as well as the packaging for the hersheys sugar free baking chocolates so I don't know what the carb info was...I don't know how to figure the splenda carb count for 2 cups....so I am not sure I can come up with the numbers! I am sorry...if anybody has any ideas, please let me know!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 12:43
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

thank you it sounds yummy but I'm afraid with the wheat and oat flour and 2 cups of splenda and a cup of cocoa it would be way too many carbs for me.